The Bass Maltings in Sleaford, England are a large group of eight disused malt houses originally owned by the Bass Brewery of Burton upon Trent. Constructed between 1901 and 1907 to Herbert A. Couchman's design, the maltings are the largest group of malt houses in England; they have been designated Grade II* on the National Heritage List for England, recognising them as "particularly important ... of more than special interest."
1901 The site was purchased by Bass Ratcliff and Greeton Ltd. The engine house, associated buildings manager' cottages, admin offices etc. took roughly six years to construct, covering 13 acres approx, and costing £350,000 to complete.
1906 By autumn of this year the site was in operation and in full working order by 1907.
By the end of the Second World War business had declined to such an extent that many of the buildings became redundant.
1959 Production finally ceased.
Sources of Information
- Photos by Jonathon Tattersall