Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 128,460 pages of information and 202,837 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Barton Brothers name was later changed to Barton Transport. They were successful bus operators in the 1920s.
For a short time the company designed and built four-cylinder diesel engines. These were fitted in trucks and barges as well as buses.
Early chassis convention lengthened various makes, a Daimler Y-type gained 10ft (3m) in length and became a 60 seater single-decker.
The company's main focus was to convert to six-wheelers.
A modest small Morris could become a 24 or 26 seat six-wheeler, otherwise known as a Morris Barton.
A whole fleet of Lancia (many ex-Italian Government war surplus) became 39 or 40 seat six-wheelers otherwise known as Lancia-Bartons.
Production of complete chassis began in 1929, by 1930 there were 10 Bartons.
New construction and use regulations on lengths and overhangs brought an end to the Barton lengthening and rebuilding schemes of the 1920s.