Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,881 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Barrow Emanuel (1842-1904)
Barrow Emanuel (1842 1904) was son of Emanuel Emanuel and Julia Moss (her father was Barrow Moss). Barrow Emanuel's sister Kate (1845-1924) married Sir Philip Magnus (1842-1933) - prominent in the field of technical education.
His grandparents were Moses Emanuel (Moshe ben Menachem) c1759-1859 born Steinhardt Bavaria/Germany and Kitty Aaron.
1904 Obituary 
BARROW EMANUEL, M.A. (Dublin), died at his residence, 147 Harley Street, W., on the 14th February, 1904, aged 62.
Born at Portsmouth on the 4th February, 1842, he served a pupilage to Mr. H. Wood, Superintending Civil Engineer of Portsmouth Dockyard, and was subsequently articled to George Rennie and Sons, of Holland Street, Blackfriars.
After graduating in arts at Trinity College, Dublin, he acted for two years as Chief Draughtsman to Lewis and Stockwell, shipbuilders and dry-dock owners, of Blackwall.
In 1867 he became a member of the firm of Davis and Emanuel, in which he was senior partner at the date of his death.
During that period of thirty-seven years the firm carried out works at Southsea Pier and in connection with the Portsmouth Street Tramways, and were the architects of the City of London School, the London Hospital Convalescent Home at Felixstowe, the Yarrow Convalescent Home at Broadstairs, and Salisbury House, as well as of many other buildings in the City and in the West End.
For many years Mr. Emanuel was the architect to the East End Dwellings Company. He was on the committee of many benevolent institutions, a member of the Jewish Board of Guardians, of the Loriners' Company, and of the Court of the Patten Makers' Company, a Justice of the Peace for Middlesex, and a well-known member at the Reform and Savage Clubs.
Mr. Emanuel was elected an Associate of the Institution on the 5th December, 1871, and was subsequently placed in the class of Associate Members.