Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,810 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Wind Street, Swansea. Works: King's Dock, Swansea; Mansel, Port Talbot; Wern, Briton Ferry.
of 3 St. Helen's Place, E.C.3.
Midland Branch: Wilden Iron Works, Stourport-on-Severn.
1902 The company was established and registered on 7 April, to acquire the businesses of iron and steel manufacturers, and colliery and iron proprietors, of E. P. and W. Baldwin, Wright, Butler and Co, Alfred Baldwin and Co, the Bryn Navigation Colliery Co and the Blackwall Galvanised Iron Co. Alfred Baldwin was the first chairman and his son Stanley was managing director. Stanley had sole responsibility for the Midland Division which accounted for about one quarter of the turnover
The other directors of Baldwins, apart from Beck, Alfred Baldwin, M.P and his son Stanley, were John Roper Wright, Isaac Butler and S. Lammas Dore. Part of the Baldwins' amalgamation involved the Primitiva and Monges iron ore mines in Spain and Portugal. Roger Beck had a long and profitable relationship with Wright and Butler and then also with the Baldwins.
1914 Iron masters and colliery proprietors. Specialities: round, square and hoop iron; bar, angle and tee steel; black and galvanized sheets, tinned sheets, tinplates etc. The company has its own blast furnaces and steel works and numerous factories where steel bars are converted into a variety of metal sheets. Employees 6,000. The following brands are important features of the company's output:
1917 Work started on new steelworks at Margam with government support; the foundations for three blast furnaces were laid although only two were actually completed.
1918 New private steel company formed by Baldwins, their bankers and associates; it was called the British Steel Corporation; it had acquired the Briton Ferry Works and extensive land between the Swansea docks and the Neath River to host blast furnaces and coke ovens.
1918 Two 70 ton open-hearth furnaces went into production at Margam; the steel went to Port Talbot Steel Co for rolling.
1919 the British Steel Corporation was acquired by Baldwins which then would have more productive capacity than any similar undertaking in the U.K.; Baldwins was also said to be planning to move into the manufacturing side of the steel business.
1920 Steel making subsidiaries included:
Other steel works were:
Sheet, tinplate and galvanizing works:
as well as coke ovens at Landore, Cwmavon and Port Talbot, and by-product plant at Margam, plus 8 collieries, 3 iron ore mines, 2 quarries, 2 brickworks, and 2 tube works as well as works in Canada.
1920 Two blast furnaces were operating at the new Margam steel works by mid-year
By 1927 Baldwins had acquired the Brymbo Steel Co, the Coytrahen Park Colliery Co, the Cribbwr Fawr Collieries, the Taff Rhondda Steam Navigation Coal Co, and the Ton Phillip Rhondda Colliery Co in South Wales, as well as other metallurgical and allied companies.
1927 See Aberconway Chapter 17 for information on the company and its history.
1934 See Baldwins: 1934 Review
1935 Sold the Eaglesbush tinplate works to Metal Box Co
1937 British Industries Fair Advert for Welsh Tinplate Works. (Engineering/Metals/Quarry, Roads and Mining/Transport Section - Stand No. D.328). 
1937 Steel sheet manufacturers.
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers