Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 146,878 pages of information and 232,615 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Analytical chemists, scientific instrument makers and laboratory furnishers,
of 14-15 Cross Street, Hatton Garden, London, EC1. Telephone: Holborn 2613-5. Cables: "Burette, London". (1929)
of 14-17 Saint Cross Street, Hatton Garden, London, EC1. Telephone: Holborn 2613. Cables: "Burette, Smith, London". (1947)
of Freshwater Road, Chadwell Heath, Essex (1951) Works: Blackhorse Lane, Walthamstow.
1881 Baird set up business in Glasgow
1890 Baird moved to Hatton Garden, London, where he opened a small warehouse and office, later adding a small workshop, to supply laboratory equipment.
1893 Exhibited a thermometer at the British Association meeting.
1897 Business split in two. '...the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned Hugh Harper Baird and John Tatlock carrying on business as Dealers in Pure Chemicals Laboratory Furnishings &c. at No. 14 Cross-street Hatton Garden London and at No. 40 Renfrew-street Glasgow and at No. 10 Drummond-street Edinburgh under the style or firm of Baird and Tatlock has been dissolved by mutual consent as and from the 30th day of April 1896. The said Hugh Harper Baird will continue to carry on business at the above address, in London on his own account under the style or firm of Baird and Tatlock. The said John Tatlock will continue to carry on business, at the above addresses in Glasgow and Edinburgh on his own account under the style or firm of Baird and Tatlock...'
1902 Baird and Tatlock (London) Ltd. Took a workshop at Walthamstow and built a factory, in Blackhorse Lane, taking over Higham Hill Lodge.
1906 Private company was formed.
1912 Trade Catalogue: Price list of apparatus for experiments in practical physics. 
1914 Scientific instrument manufacturers. Specialities: all educational and scientific apparatus and instruments. 
1926 Baird and Tatlock Ltd in association with J. J. Griffin and Sons Ltd., Great Ducie Street, Manchester exhibited scientific apparatus such as calorimeters, oil testing apparatus, gas analysis apparatus, and electric pyrometers
Also see Griffin and Tatlock
1929 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as an Optical, Scientific and Photographic Exhibit. Manufacturers of Laboratory Benches and Fittings of every description; Chemical and Bacteriological and Physical Apparatus; Apparatus for teaching Agriculture, Botany, Hygiene, etc; Physiological and Pharmacological Instruments and Apparatus; Pure Chemicals, Stains and Reagents. (Scientific Section - Stand No. O.37) 
1937 Manufacturers of scientific instruments, laboratory benches and fittings. 
1939 See Aircraft Industry Suppliers
1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Laboratory Furniture, Fittings and Equipment for Industrial Research, Medical and Educational Purposes, including Balances, Wights, Centrifuges, Thermostat Ovens and Baths, Distillation Apparatus, Incubators, Autoclaves, Electrolysis Apparatus, Laboratory, Volumetric, Sintered Glassware. (Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. A.1031) 
1951 Maker of laboratory glassware; lamp-blown scientific, laboratory and medical glassware and apparatus; sintered glassware. Directors: J. E. C. Bailey, C.B.E. (Chairman and Managing); C. B. Chartres, C.B.E.; J. M. C. Fox, B.A., A.R.I.C.; H. H. Baird; C. L. Prior; G. E. Howard.
1959 The company became a division of the Derbyshire Stone Group.
1969 Tarmac Derby sold its interest in Baird and Tatlock to G. D. Searle and Co of the U.S.A. There were some 600 employees in 1970.
1987 Merck integrated the Baird and Tatlock companies with BDH which it already owned.
2012 Company dissolved