Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 140,429 pages of information and 227,382 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
c.1902 A second Bristol Corporation power station, to cope with the increasing demand for electricity, was opened on a large new site of 9.5 acres at St. Philip's Marsh
The 1902 O.S. map shows Avonbank Electric Light Works on the south side of Feeder Road, which runs alongside the Feeder Canal. Immediately to the east of the power station was the Great Western Colliery, but this was disused at that time, and the coal for the power station was brought in by barge. See 1908 Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Visits to Works for a description of the station and its equipment. The nature of the ground necessitated deep and wide concrete foundations. The 1902 map indicates that the site was marshland (St. Philip's Marsh).
The site is now occupied by the Avonbank Depot of Western Power Distribution.