Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,009 pages of information and 229,287 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Augustus Tichborne Pentland (1857-1900)
1901 Obituary 
AUGUSTUS TICHBORNE PENTLAND, born on the 13th Nay, 1857, was the fourth son of the late Mr. George H. Pentland, a Justice of the Peace for the Counties of Meath and Louth, who filled the office of High Sheriff of Louth.
He was educated at Bedford Grammar School, the Royal School at Portora, and Trinity College, Dublin, where he took the degree of Master of Arts.
After a pupilage of a year with Mr. Marmaduke Backhouse, he was for two years a pupil with Mr. Bindon B. Stoney, LLB., Engineer to the Port and Docks Board, Dublin, when the North Wall extension and other large works were in progress. He afterwards had charge of important works for a year under Mr. Alexander Tate, County Surveyor of Antrim.
In May, 1884, Mr. Pentland was appointed one of the four District Engineers under Mr. Robert Manning, Engineer in Chief of the Board of Public Works, Ireland, in connection with the fifty-nine piers and harbours carried out under the Sea Fisheries’ Act of 1883. He had charge of the Eastern District.
In 1888 he was transferred to the West Coast of Ireland to complete several harbour works there. On the completion of those works he was attached to the headquarters staff of the Engineer of the Board of Public Works, Ireland, and until 1900 was actively employed in connection with the harbours, arterial drainage and inland navigation systems of that country.
In May, 1900, Mr. Pentland was appointed an Inspector under the Local Government Board for Ireland, but had only performed his new duties for a few weeks when he died on the 5th June, 1900, from an attack of pneumonia following a chill.
Mr. Pentland was an enthusiastic member of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland and had a wide knowledge of the interesting relics of the past of which that country is a rich storehouse.
He was a cultured and capable engineer, an energetic and courteous official, and one of the kindest and most unselfish of men. His sudden death at a comparatively early age is deeply regretted by a wide circle of friends to whom he had endeared himself by his charm of manner, his gentle wit, and his goodness of heart.
He was elected an Associate Member of the Institution on the 4th December, 1888, and was transferred to the Class of Members on the 7th November, 1893.