Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Auguste Bernard Albaret (1824-1891)
1858 of 4 Rue de Montholon, Paris.
1891 Obituary 
AUGUSTE BERNARD ALBARET was born at Dax in the department of Landes, France, on 20th July 1824.
After having received only the most elementary instruction in his native town, he nevertheless succeeded in his sixteenth year in passing the examinations necessary for obtaining admission into the Ecole des Arts et Metiers at Angers.
On the completion of his studies there in 1843, he served as assistant engineer on board the steamers "La Chimene" and "Le Cerbere."
From 1844 to 1848 he was successively a working fitter, erector, and draughtsman in several important works in Rouen and Paris.
In 1848 he became an engine-driver on the railway from Paris to Lyons; and in the following year was made works manager of the repairing shops in Paris belonging to that railway.
In 1857 he was appointed inspector of the work that was being done at various establishments in France and England for the Paris Lyons and Mediterranean Railway.
After spending some time as engineer in the locomotive works of MM. Cave, he was occupied in 1858 in establishing the works of the Madrid Saragossa and Alicante Railway for the construction of their rolling stock.
In 1859 he became locomotive engineer of the Portuguese Railways.
On the death in 1861 of M. Duvoir, manager of the agricultural engine works at Rantigny, near Liancourt-sous-Clermont, in the department of Oise, he was appointed his successor; and he greatly enlarged the works, until they now employ more than 400 men.
During the thirty years that he continued at the head of this establishment, the work he turned out became known throughout all parts of Europe and also in America, comprising large numbers of stationary and Portable engines, thrashing machines, and many other agricultural implements. By assiduously attending the various agricultural meetings and competitions, he made himself practically acquainted with the requirements of farmers both in France and in other countries, and gained large numbers of prizes for the machines he exhibited on these occasions as well as at the great international exhibitions. Ho received the successive distinctions of the Legion of Honour, in recognition of the important services he had rendered to the progress of agriculture.
He was a justice of the peace for the canton of Liancourt, and for many years was mayor of Rantigny, where his death took place on 24th January 1891, at the age of sixty-six, while he was still actively occupied in his manifold engagements.
He became a Member of this Institution in 1858.