Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,789 pages of information and 211,900 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Ascot produced motorcycles from 1904 to 1906.
The firm was based at 212 Pentonville Road, London
1904 The machines were typical of the era - fitted with a single cam 2.75hp engine usually Minerva or Antoine types, and a band brake to the front wheel. They listed a forecar as well as a solo.
1905 Power increased to 3hp and magneto ignition was an option. Also listed was a 1hp French import, which had a belt-driven engine hung from the down-tube and braced forks.
1905 Percy Herbert Cecil Sandham is listed at 212 Pentonville Road and in 1911 is shown a 'bicycle maker and repairer' and in later years files several patents for improvements to motor vehicles.
1906 Nothing more was heard of Ascot after that year.
1908 Three and a half horse-power Ascot Motor Bicycle offered for sale at 12 pounds or near offer.
The 1904 Ascot was an English automobile manufactured for one year only; its 3½ hp engine was equipped with a "patented method for mechanically-controlling valves, doing away with useless pinions and calves".
1919 Partnership dissolved. '...the Partnership which has for some time post been carried on by Sidney Morton Goldstraw and Stanley Ascott under the firm of "GOLDSTRAW AND ASCOTT," at 180, London Road, Derby, in the trade or business of Motor Engineers and Mail Contractors, has been dissolved by mutual consent as from the thirty-first day of July, one thousand nine hundred and nineteen...'
It appears from census returns that Stanley Ascott was born c1889 in Derby and is therefore too young to be the producer at Pentonville Road
Also note that the Ascot Motor and Manufacturing Co of Letchworth produced Ascot Pullin motorcycles from 1928 to 1930