Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,981 pages of information and 229,144 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Arthur Edwin Mills (1863-1935)
1935 Obituary 
ARTHUR EDWIN MILLS was in practice for many years as a consulting engineer and marine surveyor in Cardiff.
He was born in 1863 and served a five years' apprenticeship, commencing in 1880, in the engineering and shipbuilding works of Messrs. G. K. Stothert and Company, of Bristol, after which he entered the drawing office.
In 1888 he went to sea as third engineer and by 1893 he had obtained his Extra First Class engineer's certificate and had risen to the rank of chief engineer.
He subsequently returned to Messrs. Stothert as manager and designed a special type of paddle wheel with feather floats for Messrs. P. and A. Campbell's steamships.
In 1900 he joined the estimating department of Messrs. Babcock and Wilcox.
For nine months prior to going into business on his own account he was works manager of the Passage West Drydock Company, at Cork.
He was superintendent of the steamboats owned by Messrs. Spillers, of Cardiff, for twenty-five years; and was responsible for the reconditioning of these boats after the War, and for their subsequent maintenance, but relinquished these duties on the transference of the boats to Birkenhead.
In 1926 he retired and continued to live in Cardiff, where he died on 26th April 1935.
He was elected to Associate Membership of the Institution in 1894.