Armstrong Triplex Three-Speed Gear Co
of Icknield Street, Birmingham
Also see Armstrong Triplex Three-Speed Co
1906 Harry Reilly (brother of William Reilly) set up the Armstrong Triplex Three-Speed Gear Co, using one of William's discarded hub designs. The name Armstrong was from Harry's father-in-law.
New Hudson Cycle Co favoured the Armstrong gear.
1907 Armstrong Triplex was incorporated as a limited company, with their headquarters at the St. George’s Engineering factory.
1910 William Reilly resigned from Raleigh.
1911 The Armstrong three-speed hub was shown at Olympia; 2 types, for bicycle and for sidecar
1914 Raleigh bought the Armstrong Triplex Three-Speed Gear Co from New Hudson for £6000.
Sources of Information
- The Times, Nov 22, 1911
- Online Vintage Bicycle Museum