Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 127,442 pages of information and 201,029 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
later of Selly Oak, Birmingham
For a summary of the various users of the Ariel name see Ariel - an overview.
1897 The name was later changed because of conflict of interest in making pneumatic tyres as well as bicycles. The new name chosen for its bicycle producing arm made use of the Ariel trademark, which had been acquired with an earlier acquisition by Dunlop. The result was the Ariel Cycle Co which was registered in November 1897 . Advertising referred to "Ariel late Dunlop"
1897 Cycle Components Manufacturing Co acquired the Ariel Cycle Co. These cycles were ridden to victory in the world's championships of 1897 by J. W. Stocks (professional) and E. Gould (amateur) and paced by Ariel multi-cycles.
The Ariel works were later moved to the Dale Road factory under Charles Sangster. Sangster's new marque quickly achieved commercial success, the agency being much sought after by retailers throughout the country and abroad.
1898 J. W. Stocks, after his retirement, wrote "Stocks on Training" which was published by the makers of his bicycles, Ariel Cycle Co.
1898 Built the company’s first motorised tricycle. It had a De Dion engine made under licence. After that year only the Ariel marque name was used. More tricycles were produced.
1899 Description of new tricycle.
1899 J. W. Stocks, of the Ariel Cycle Works, Birmingham, was fined for speeding on a motor tricycle on the Great North Road .
1900 At the Automobile Club Trial, the Ariel Tricycle Co Ltd entered an Ariel tricycle, and one with a detachable trailer; the Ariel Cycle Co Ltd entered the Ariel xxard Voiturette; Mr R M Wilson entered an Ariel tricycle from Ariel Cycle Co .
1901 the first Ariel motorcycle, fitted with a Minerva engine of 211cc.
1901 Quadricycles were added to the product line in 1901 as the Ariel brand was extended to car production. The first quadricycle had a 2.75hp engine and a water-cooled cylinder head. The retailing of Ariel motorcars was handled by Ariel Motors Ltd of Long Acre, London.
1901 The firm first demonstrated a motorcycle, using a 1.5hp Minerva engine, hung from the frame down-tube, and a car.
1902 Machines went on sale, also fitted with a Kerry engine.
1903 The first Ariel engine was built.
1904 The firm adopted the centre-engine position. They also offered the Liberty cycle attachment as a form of transport. This involved attaching a bicycle to the side of a motorcycle to form a quadricycle and avoid side-slip.
1905 Details of their 15-18, 18-22, 20-25 and 30-35 cars.
1905-1909 Other models were added, including the tricar. Larger, 6hp V-twin JAP engines were used.
1906. Produced the Ariel-Simplex car in 28-38, 30-40, 35-45, 40-50 and 50-60 h.p. models. The three larger models were six-cylinder while the the others were four-cylinder.
1906 March. Ariel Motors (1906) Ltd was formed to take over Ariel Motors Ltd and to carry on the business of manufacturers of Ariel and Ariel-Simplex cars. Planned to open negotiations with Bruce Peebles and Co for reciprocal working. Directors were: J. F. Albright, Arthur C. Peebles, Gerard B. Elkington, J. E. Hutton and Charles T. B. Sangster  .
1909 Ariel and Mercury cycles were offered for the 1909 season; produced by Ariel Works, Bournbrook .