Coal owners, in the Central coalfield of Scotland
WWI David Colville and Sons purchased the ordinary shares of the company in order to safeguard fuel supplies for the steel works.
c.1925 Produced 1,000,000 tons per year
The Company was owned by the steel-making firm of David Colville and Sons of Motherwell. Mr. John Craig was Chairman of both companies; Lord Kylsant, representing Harland and Wolff, a large shareholder, was a Director. John Brown and Co of Sheffield was also a large shareholder. The firm worked nine collieries and employs 5,700 men.