Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,834 pages of information and 228,772 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Archibald Gilchrist (1877-1932), Chairman of Barclay, Curle and Co
son of James Gilchrist.
"THE LATE MR. A. GILCHRIST. The news of the death of Mr. Archibald Gilchrist, at his home in Kelvinside, Glasgow, on December 22, will be received with regret by shipbuilders and marine engineers in many parts of the world. Mr. Gilchrist, who was Chairman of Messrs. Barclay, Curle and Company, Limited, Glasgow, was the son of the late Mr. James Gilchrist, J.P., D.L., who was Chairman of Messrs. Barclay, Curie for 17 years and died in 1917. His grandfather, Mr. Archibald Gilchrist, was also connected with the firm for many years, having joined the founder, Mr. Robert Barclay, as engineering partner in 1857. Born in 1877; Mr. Gilchrist served his engineering apprenticeship first with Messrs. Muir and Caldwell, Limited, Glasgow, and afterwards with the Clydebank Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Limited. From 1898 to 1899 he served as engineering draughtsman in the works of Messrs. John Brown and Company, Limited, Clydebank. The following year was spent at sea as marine engineer on the ships of the City Line. In 1900, Mr. Gilchrist was appointed engineer designer in the Central Marine Engine Works, West Hartlepool, a position he occupied for two and a-half years. His long association with Messrs. Barclay, Curle began in March, 1902, when he was appointed assistant engineering manager of the Stobcross Engine Works of the company. In 1908, he was promoted to the position of general engineering manager, a position he continued to occupy until 1915, when he became engineering director. Finally, when Mr. T. E. Thirlaway, Chairman of the company, retired in 1930, Mr. Gilchrist succeeded him.
Mr. Gilchrist took a leading part in the development of marine oil engines and, in 1912, was closely associated with the design and construction of the Diesel engines of the twin-screw motorship Jutlandia, the first ocean-going Diesel-engined vessel to be built in this country. He was also largely responsible for the scheme involving the construction by his firm of the dry-dock and wharf at Elderslie, Scotstoun, which works are now practically complete. His enthusiasm in the scheme was an indication of his confidence in the future of the Clyde shipbuilding industry. Mr. Gilchrist was a director of several other industrial companies, among them, Messrs. Swan, Hunter, and Wigham Richardson, Limited, Wallsend-on-Tyne. He became a member of the Institution of Engineers and Shipbuilders in Scotland in December, 1902, and served as President during 1931-32. ' He was elected a member of the Institution of Naval Architects in 1919, and of the Institute of Metals- in 1918. He was also a member of the American Society of Naval Engineers. For his services to his country during the European war he was made an 0.B.E."