Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,439 pages of information and 233,876 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1893 Shortland Aplin and his partner H. W. Barrett, began to expand their wholesale dairy businesses, which in a few years under the name of Alpin and Barrett Ltd, would become one of the largest producers of fine dairy products in the country.
1898 Amalgamated with Western Counties Creameries.
During the first half of the century, the company's head office, creamery and factory for making many of the St. Ivel products, covered nearly two acres of land at Newton Road, Yeovil.
Aplin and Barrett's dairy products were many and varied and included such popular brands as Golden Meadow Butter, St Ivel Cream, many varieties of cheese and the uniquely flavoured product St Ivel Lactic Cheese, together with sausages, potted pastes and a variety of milk based foods.
Later Aplin and Barrett were absorbed into the Unigate Group.