Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,798 pages of information and 199,892 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Angarrack railway viaduct is situated at Angarrack in west Cornwall.
The eleven-arch granite-built viaduct carries the Cornish Main Line railway across the steep-sided valley of the Angarrack River, a tributary of the River Hayle, between the present day stations of Camborne and Hayle. The village extends up the valley and under the viaduct.
The original viaduct at Angarrack was designed by Isambard Kingdom Brunel for the West Cornwall Railway and was "... built wholly of timber on stone footings". It was nearly 800 feet long and 100 feet high.
The present viaduct of roughly the same dimensions was an entirely new replacement structure and opened by the Great Western Railway in 1885. Its eleven stone arches each have a span of 56.5 feet.
The stone from the original Brunel footings was re-used to construct the sea wall on the approach to Penzance railway station. Today, no evidence remains of Brunel's original structure.