Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Andrew and James Stewart of Coatbridge and Glasgow were iron tube manufacturers.
Andrew Stewart was originally employed as a salesman by Eadies of Dalmarnock, South Lanarkshire, specialists in the manufacture of lap-welded and loose flange tubes. Stewart saw a market for gas pipe but the company would not support his proposals.
1860/1 Andrew Stewart started his own tube-making business, Clydesdale Tube Works, as a maker of butt-welded and lap-welded tubes establishing a small works at St. Enochs, Glasgow.
1867 The company met with rapid success and moved to a large site at Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire, where they built the Clyde Tube Works.
1882 The company acquired Sun Tube Works in Coatbridge and the Clyde Pipe Foundry in Glasgow.
1882 The company was incorporated with limited liability as A. and J. Stewart Ltd.
In the 1880s the company was effectively increased fivefold and became the largest operator in the Scottish tube trade. The company was a large, vertically integrated combine controlling its own supplies of iron and steel and performing all the stages of manufacture, from raw materials to finished products. The company manufactured a very wide range of products, including all types of tubes and pipes, as well as angle and boilerplate.
1889 Andrew saw his sons set up their own business in Glasgow as tube manufacturers under the name of Stewart Brothers.
1890 March 15th. Public company registered under the title of A. and J. Stewart and Clydesdale to take over the businesses of Andrew and James Stewart, iron and steel manufacturers and iron founders of Coatbridge and Glasgow, Stewart Brothers iron and steel tube manufacturers of Coatbridge, and the Clydesdale Iron and Steel Co of Mossend, near Glasgow. . On taking over the Clydesdale works these were effectively reconstructed, the old hammer and tilting machinery being replaced by three new rolling mills.