Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,345 pages of information and 230,027 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Andrew Gray (c1873-1953) of the Marconi's Wireless Telegraph Co
1953 Obituary 
WE regret to announce the death at Brentford (Middlesex) Hospital on Sunday of Mr. Andrew Gray, who was one of the pioneers of wireless telegraphy, and a personal friend and assistant of the late Marchese Guglielmo Marconi.
Mr. Gray, was was eighty, had lived in West London since his retirement twenty-one years ago.
Andrew Gray was born at Glasgow and graduated at Glasgow University. Later he took a diploma in electrical engineering at the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College, and then became assistant to the late Professor Andrew Jamieson.
In 1895 he joined the staff of the West India and Panama Telegraph Company, Ltd., as assistant electrician, and became chief electrician and, later, as telegraph engineer, he was responsible for the condition of 7,000 miles of cable.
It was in 1899 that Mr. Gray first joined the Marconi Company two years after its formation, and started immediately as personal assistant to Marconi; he was particularly active in tests between the Isle of Wight and the mainland in the tuning of wireless circuits whereby multiplex and duplex working were made possible.
At the turn of the century Mr. Gray introduced the Marconi system of wireless intercommunication in the Hawaiian group of islands, organising and training local operators.
In 1901 he was appointed chief of staff to the company and, because of his cable and telegraph experience, was put in charge of the training of new engineers and the organisation of ship and shore wireless communication of the Marconi International Marine Communication Company, Ltd. This company took over its own telegraph operating in 1906, but until 1919 Mr. Gray continued to supervise the testing and installation of wireless on ships. Meanwhile, as chief of staff, Mr. Gray was also responsible for design, testing, installation and working of all the wireless company's stations and also development of patents for the parent and associated companies.
He was appointed chief engineer to the company in 1910, joint general manager in 1923, and technical general manager in 1928.