Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,627 pages of information and 209,984 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Glasgow, and Port Clarence, Middlesborough.
c.1850 The company Houldsworth and Sons became known as the Anderston Foundry Co.
The foundry grew into one of the largest, its owners having become ironmasters just as the hot blast and improved railway communication were combining to make it a really profitable business.
1874 Expansion to Middlesbrough: "a further employer of labour entered the locality, the Anderston Foundry Company. This firm set up on the North bank of the Tees, to the West of the ferry landing, where the Middlesbrough-Clarence ferry discharged and took passengers. The foundry manufactured all kinds of railway equipment. It would appear that the bulk of Anderston’s workforce came from Middlesbrough on the ferry"
1884 Incorporated as a limited company.
1898 Enclosed vertical compound steam engine and dynamo
1914 Engineers and ironfounders, manufacturers of textile machinery, wire weaving machinery, gas engines, railway permanent way material including cast-iron railway chairs, sleepers, steel sleepers, switches and crossings and fishbolts and nuts. Employees 1,600 to 1,700.