Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,812 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
of Christchurch and Lyttleton, South Island, New Zealand
Andersons Ltd was founded by John Anderson (b 1820) when he erected his first forge on a site at 'The Bricks' in Oxford Terrace.
The business then moved to Cashel Street, and in 1857 Anderson imported Canterbury's first steam boiler engine.
Anderson gathered around him skilled tradesmen from Scotland and began to train his two elder sons as his successors. In the 1860s- 1870s boiling down vats, station wool presses, flax machinery, steam engines and boilers were built.
From the turn of the century, the firm's work ranged from specialised manufacture to major contract work. The oil engine founded the firm's modern manufacturing business.
Around 1948 a new factory opened in Christchurch.
Trading ceased in the early 1980s.