Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 136,062 pages of information and 218,544 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1919 Company was formed as an investment and finance company to finance and extend British industry; exceptionally large issue of shares (£3million of which about half was to be issued at the start)  which was over-subscribed.
1919 John Slater of John Slater (London) Ltd acquired a controlling interest in Amalgamated Industrials and increased its capital to £5 million in order to merge his existing interests into the company - these were Murdoch and Murray and Ferguson Brothers on the Clyde, the new Haden collieries, the Berry Hill collieries, Kelsall Brothers and Beeching, steam trawler operators and fish merchants, a controlling interest in International Marine Insurance Co and City Life Insurance Co as well as John Slater (London) Ltd which owned several shipping lines .
1919 John Slater explained to an EGM that the company had constructed a chain of companies from coal, through steel to ship building and ship owning; the one that did not fit was cotton spinning. Announced further acquisition of spinning mill John Thomasson and Sons of Bolton .
1919 Report that Amalgamated were acquiring Dulcia Steam Shipping Co., and Griffiths Lewis Steam Navigation Co but this was later denied .
1920 Acquired 3 shipping lines: Head, and Lord lines of Belfast, and the Cork Steamship Company, in line with the previously expressed strategy of building an integrated business in which the shipping companies would absorb the products of the upstream businesses. Now owned 19 companies .
1920 AGM told that the company owned a brickworks (acquired as part of the purchase of one of the 3 collieries) where they had established research laboratory so as to make bricks in a scientific manner, and had acquired a large sanitary ware manufacturer of baths, etc which was located in the middle of one of their properties; most of its products were exported to Germany .
1921 AGM told that the company had acquired Hardman Brothers (Bolton) Ltd printers of Bolton, and Wilton, Angus and Co coal exporters of Newcastle upon Tyne; in all there were 20 companies in the group .
1922 Head, Wrightson and Co acquired the interest in William Whitwell and Co previously held by Amalgamated Industrials, which had been unable to provide the capital needed for expansion of the works.
1960 AGM: company was moving into metals, metal processing, light machinery and engineering, attaining a leading position in each field of operation
1961 Amalgamated Industrials sold its holding of the whole of the ordinary capital of W. J. Harris and Co and acquired the whole of the ordinary capital of Electro Dynamic Construction Co; owned Alder Hardware Ltd
1972 E. and H. P. Smith changed its name to Amalgamated Industrials with the support of Bryanston Holdings, and changed its focus from engineering to internal growth activities and acquisitions.