Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,814 pages of information and 199,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Built by the Earl of Mar built in 1768 to carry coal from his coalfields to the forth. On the way it traversed the centre of Alloa.
This waggonway ran from Alloa harbour to coal mines in the Sauchie area and was an expansion of an original line between the Alloa Glassworks and Alloa Harbour.
Originally constructed with wooden rails, it was changed to wood and iron strip in 1785 and to cast-iron in 1810. it is one of the earliest railways in Scotland.
The route through Alloa passes under two tunnel-like bridges