Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,385 pages of information and 233,851 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Alloa Brewery Co

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

1810 Established in Alloa by William Foote, Ebenezer Thompson and Andrew Roy, who was the manager of the concern.

By 1825 Andrew Roy had bought out his partners and the company was trading under the name of Andrew Roy and Co.

Acquired the neighbouring Hutton Park Brewery of John H. Syme some time after 1837.

1848 Andrew’s eldest son Robert M. Roy became a partner with his father in the business, but after Andrew’s death in 1855 the Alloa Brewery and the Hutton Park Brewery were conveyed to trustees by way of Deed of Settlement. The trustees ran the business until 1860 when it was acquired by Robert Roy.

In 1866 the Alloa Brewery was acquired by Archibald Arrol of Glasgow.

After his death (in 1881) in 1888, it passed to 2 of his sons Walter and Archibald.

1895 Archibald Arrol and Sons was registered to acquire and amalgamate the business of Walter & Archibald Arrol with the brewery businesses of J. Meikle and William Turnbull, both of Newcastle–upon–Tyne.

1901 Purchased Dove and Newsome Baxter of Newcastle-on-Tyne and Thornton–le–Moore, (established 1898).

1910 Acquired Arthur’s Hill Brewery Co of Newcastle–upon–Tyne (established 1865)

From 1921 the company produced lager for Samuel Allsopp and Sons of Burton–on–Trent.

Allsopp’s acquired a controlling interest in Archibald Arrol & Sons Ltd in 1930.

1951 the company went into voluntary liquidation and the business, which included 29 licensed houses, was acquired by Ind Coope & Allsopp Ltd, Burton-on-Trent. Brewing continued on the site, operated from 1984 to 1998 by the Alloa Brewery Co Ltd.

The brewery was taken over by Carlsberg–Tetley plc of Northampton in January 1990.

Brewing was discontinued in 1998 and the brewery was demolished in 2001.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information