Allerton Seward Cushman
Allerton Seward Cushman (1867-1930)
1930 Obituary 
Lieutenant-Colonel ALLERTON SEWARD CUSHMAN, M.A., Ph.D., died on May 2, 1930, in New York, following an operation; he was sixty-two years of age.
Born on June 2, 1867, in the American Consulate at Rome, where his father was Consul, he received the degree of B.S. from Worcester Polytechnic Institute in 1888; he then studied at Freiberg and Heidelberg for two years, and returned to the United States to take his M.A. and Ph.D. at Harvard in 1896 and 1897. At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War he enlisted as a private, and was promoted to the rank of captain.
In 1900 he went to Bryn Mawr College as Associate Professor of Chemistry, and remained there two years. He then became assistant director in the Office of Public Roads in the Department of Agriculture, in charge of scientific investigations.
In 1910 he founded the Institute of Industrial Research, Washington, D.C., and directed it until 1924. During the Great War he was stationed at the Frankford Arsenal, with the rank of lieutenant- colonel of ordnance.
For the last six years he had practised as a consulting chemist in New York City. His principal researches dealt with the extraction of potash from felspathic rocks, the use of ground rock as fertiliser, the properties of road materials, and the cause and prevention of corrosion of iron and steel; his paper on "The Preservation of Iron and Steel " was presented and discussed at the May Meeting of the Iron and Steel Institute in 1909. In 1906 he was awarded the Franklin Medal.
He joined the Iron and Steel Institute in 1909.