Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 135,683 pages of information and 217,205 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Alfred Claughton

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search

Alfred Claughton (1893-1946)


1946 Obituary [1]

ALFRED CLAUGHTON, whose death occurred on 7th February 1946, was chief mechanical and electrical engineer of the Colne Valley Water Company, Watford. He had held this appointment from 1930 onwards, during which period the company experienced phenomenal growth which placed a heavy burden on his shoulders, especially during the war years. He installed 2,500 kW. of steam turbo-alternators, increased the pumping capacity to 10,000 h.p. of steam, electric, and Diesel plant, and developed large extra-high-tension indoor and outdoor unattended installations with remote control.

He was born in 1893 and served his apprenticeship with Messrs. Woodhouse Mitchell and Company, Ltd., of Brighouse, from 1908 to 1913, during which period he attended the local technical school. After brief experience as junior draughtsman with Messrs. E. Green and Son, Ltd., engineers of Wakefield, he was employed as engineer draughtsman to Messrs. Steel, Peech and Tozer, Ltd., at Sheffield.

In 1916 he joined H.M. Forces and served in the Royal Navy for three years with the rank of senior engine-room artificer. He then secured an appointment as engineer designer to Messrs. Ashton Frost and Company, Ltd., of Blackburn, with whom he remained until 1925 when he entered the service of the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company as engineering assistant in the mechanical department. During the five years for which he held that position he was responsible to the engineer-in-chief, in association with the chief mechanical assistant, for the design of new plant in connection with important works for extension, including two large new reservoirs.

Mr. Claughton was elected an Associate Member of the Institution in 1929 and was transferred to Membership in 1942. He was also an Associate of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information