Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,100 pages of information and 233,633 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Alexander Mackintosh (1820-1890)
1840 Alexander Mackintosh of Gresford, became a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
1890 Obituary 
. . . . In 1844 he was employed under the late Henry Robertson upon the surveys for the North Wales Mineral Railway from Saltney to Westminster Colliery at Ruabon, as well as several mineral branches to Minera, the Wheatsheaf, &c. This line formed the original portion of the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway which was opened in 1846 from Chester to Ruabon, and afterwards extended to Shrewsbury. Mr. Mackintosh was also engaged upon the construction of the line, the principal works being the well known Dee viaduct over the vale of Llangollen, and the viaduct at Chirk. He was likewise engaged upon the Oswestry branch, and upon nearly all of the mineral lines which were made in the mining districts adjoining the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway.
After the opening of the latter, he acted as its Resident Engineer, during which period he resided at Gresford. On the absorption of the Shrewsbury and Chester Railway by the Great Western Company in 1854, Mr. Mackintosh retained charge of the Chester lines, and also became Engineer of the joint stations of Shrewsbury and Chester under the Great Western Company . . . . [more]