Alexander Cross and Sons
From Graces Guide
of 19, Hope Street, Glasgow, of London and Liverpool, Chemical Manufacturers, Seedsmen, importers and Manufacturers of Cattle Foods, etc., Horticultural Specialists, etc.
Established early in the nineteenth century by Alexander Cross, of Clydeside, Uddington.
1872 Alexander Cross, seed merchant, set up a chemical works in the old Eagle Foundry, Port Dundas, Glasgow. The factory made superphosphate, sodium nitrate, ammonium sulphate, and potassium salts as fertilizers.
1889 After a major fire the Port Dundas factory was rebuilt but later fell into disuse.
1896 Incorporated as a Private Limited Company
1914 Chemical Works: Port Dundas, Glasgow; Camelon, Falkirk; South Bank, Middlesbrough.
1943 The Cross company was wound up.
Sources of Information
- The Times, Feb 05, 1929
- Archives of the British chemical industry, 1750-1914: a handlist. By Peter J. T. Morris and Colin A. Russell. Edited by John Graham Smith. 1988