Albert Exhibition Palace, Battersea
Original proposal was for a new building, on a site at Battersea Park. It was found to be much cheaper to purchase an existing building in Dublin, re-erect it and extend it on a site the promoters acquired adjacent to Battersea Park. A second-hand organ was purchased.
The building was originally erected in Dublin in 1856 from a design by Mr. A. G. Jones, architect, associated with Messrs. Ordish and Le Feuvre; it housed part of the 1865 Dublin International Exhibition.
1884 The building was dismantled and re-erected near Battersea Park on an altered plan, with strengthening buttress towers to suit the requirements of the new site. To this was added a picture gallery, banqueting hall dining and refreshment-rooms, with smoking and billiard rooms and offices. which were built in Bath and Portland stone, from the designs of the engineers to the company, Messrs. Bell, Miller, and Bell of Westminster and Glasgow, who also superintended the re-erection of the old building and the construction of the new buildings
The plan consists of a nave and transept, the former 460ft. in length and 82ft. in breadth, and the latter, intended for a concert-hall, 150ft. long and 118ft. broad, including the side aisles with galleries above.
1888 Insufficient visitors were prepared to pay for entrance and the palace closed in 1888. The building was demolished and replaced by York Mansions and Battersea Polytechnic Institute
Sources of Information
- Wikipedia