Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 126,814 pages of information and 199,901 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
The Albert Edward Bridge is a railway bridge spanning the River Severn at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire.
Opened on 1 November 1864, its design is almost identical to Victoria Bridge, Worcestershire. Designed by John Fowler, its 200 feet span cast iron arch has four ribs, each of nine parts bolted together. The moulds for the radiused beam castings for the bridge were prepared by Thomas Parker at the Coalbrookdale Iron Company.
Originally built to carry the Wenlock, Craven Arms and Lightmoor Extension Railway of the Wellington and Severn Junction Railway across the river, it now carries coal traffic as part of the line between Lightmoor Junction and Ironbridge Power Station.
The bridge's timber and wrought iron deck was replaced by a structural steel deck in 1933. It may be one of the last large cast iron railway bridges to have been built. Due to its age and the condition of the ironwork, traffic over the bridge is restricted to a 5 miles per hour speed limit to minimise stress. Although it carries two tracks only the one on the downstream side is still in use.
The bridge is a Grade II Listed Building, one half by Shropshire Council, the other by Telford and Wrekin District Council as the boundary is mid-span.