Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,138 pages of information and 233,680 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

Agecroft Power Station

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
1930. Metrovick 20,000 kW turbo-alternator set.
1956. Two-cylinder Metrovick sets installed in Agecroft Power Station.

Agecroft Power Station was situated between the eastern bank of the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal and the western bank of the River Irwell at Agecroft, Pendlebury, near Manchester, (opposite to Agecroft Colliery).

The station was built for Salford Corporation; the original scheme made provision for 4 main generating units, each of 12,500 kW, but only 3 were installed.

1925 Formal opening of the station (see British Pathe newsreel of the occasion [2]).

This station was later referred to as "A".

1928 Plans were drawn up for an extension of the station; a 20,000 kW turbo-generator unit and two boilers were then installed.

1950 A second station was commissioned on the site (B); this had four International Combustion pulverised coal boilers and two Metropolitan Vickers 55 megawatt (MW) generating sets.

1959 The C Station was commissioned; this used two 124 megawatt (MW) Metropolitan Vickers generating sets giving a total generation capacity of 358 MW across the B and C stations.

The stations operated until 1993 and were demolished the following year. HM Prison Forest Bank has since been built on the site.[1]

Stations B and C were totally demolished, the building of station A survived and has been put to use as the HQ of a Salford company, IT Lab[2]


See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information