Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,895 pages of information and 230,109 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1959 The Underwater Weapons Establishment was set up by the Admiralty at Portland alongside H.M. Underwater Detection Establishment, bringing together underwater weapons research and development. This paralleled the creation of the Admiralty Surface Weapons Establishment at Portsdown, Hants
The new Establishment absorbed the Underwater Countermeasures and Weapons Establishment at Havant, the Torpedo Experimental Establishment, Greenock and the Underwater Launching Establishment, Bournemouth.
1960 The two establishments at Portland were combined to form the Admiralty Underwater Weapons Establishment. It was designed to be a single centre, under the command of a Captain Superintendent, responsible for the design, development and testing of underwater weapon and detection systems.
1984 the name was changed to Admiralty Research Establishment, Portland as a part of the major re-organisation of most naval research and development establishments.