Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 143,016 pages of information and 229,287 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Charles Merz was appointed Director of the Department of Experiment and Research at the Admiralty in response to the developing submarine threat.
1917 The laboratory moved to Parkeston Quay, Harwich, Essex.
1919 Moved to Shandon on Gare Loch, Dumbartonshire. Outstations were set up at Dartmouth and Wemyss Bay, .
1921 These stations were moved to Teddington to form the Admiralty Research Laboratory (ARL) on a site next to the National Physical Laboratory.
The main fields of work included oceanography, electromagnetics, underwater ballistics, visual aids, acoustics, infra-red radiation, photography and assesment techniques.
1927 The Acoustics Group’s work on Echo Detection ASDIC (active sonar) was considered sufficiently mature that it was transferred to HMS Osprey at Portland, for the development of service equipment. This group also worked on the noise generated by ships and submarines.
The Fluid Dynamics Group concentrated on the dynamics of the motion and behaviour of warships, submarines and torpedoes, in order to increase efficiency and reducing the acoustic noise generated.
1931 ARL’s research on large capacity Lead-Acid batteries for submarines was sufficiently advanced for the work to be carried through to conclusion by Admiralty Engineering Laboratory.
WWII The Fire Control Group developed a concept of stabilised platforms successfully used for torpedo depth and direction control, searchlights, gun directors and guns. In 1943 it became a separate establishment, the Admiralty Gunnery Establishment under the control of the Director, Naval Ordnance.
The Optics Group developed the use of TV for the transmission of photographs from aircraft to ships.
1944 the Wave Group was formed. Its work was used to predict the sea conditions for the Normandy Landings.
1948 Absorbed the Admiralty Hydro-Ballistic Research Establishment
1949 The Wave Group was renamed the National Institute of Oceanography and moved to its own establishment near Wormley, Surrey in 1955.
1977 ARL was incorporated into the Admiralty Marine Technology Establishment.
1985 ARL at Teddington was finally closed.