Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 132,809 pages of information and 210,387 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
AEL of Moor Street, Coventry built motorcycles from 1919 to 1924.
The initials of Arthur Edward Lynes gave the AEL marque its name. Lynes was a retail bicycle, spares and accessories dealer at 38 Moor Street, Coventry, with a shop in the high street.
1919 Production started with the use of JAP, Villiers and Blackburne engines from 147cc to 350cc. These were mainly two-strokes. The machines sold under the AEL badge were usually constructed elsewhere as there was no shortage of motorcycle manufacturers in the Coventry area.
The economic difficulties of the mid-1920s meant that the name was short-lived due to lack of demand.