Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,894 pages of information and 228,796 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
Note: This is a sub-section of 1914 Who's Who in Business
YALE & TOWNE CO. (THE), Sole Representatives in Great Britain of The Yale and Towne Manufacturing Company, Manufacturers of Yale Products and Yale Locks, &c., &c., 17 to 20, West Smith field, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Established in January, 1904, by the parent company, The Yale and Towne Manufacturing Company, who were established in October, 1868, at Stamford, Connecticut, U.S.A., by Linus Yale (jun.) and Henry R. Towne. Present Principal: . Henry R. Towne, President of The Yale and Towne Manufacturing Company. ..Manager for Great Britain: Edward T. Webbe. Premises: General Offices at 9, 11, and 13, Murray Street, New York; Exhibit Room, 251, Fifth Avenue, New York; Local Offices, Chicago, Boston, and San Francisco, U.S.A. Branches: London (as above), Paris, and Hamburg. Works at Stamford, Conn., U.S.A. Staff: Over 3,500, including factory and branches. Specialities: Yale Locks; .also Architectural and Builders' Hardware, Yale and Blount Door Checks and Springs, Pulley Blocks and Electric Hoists, &c. Invention: Linus Yale (jun.) invented the Yale Lock in 1862, and the business was afterwards organised by Henry R. Towne. Connection: Worldwide. Telephones: Nos. 7660 and 7661 City. Telegraphic Address: " Yaletowne, London." Bankers: Chemical National Bank (New York City). National Provincial Bank of England, Ltd. (London).
YARROW & CO., Ltd., Engineers and Shipbuilders, Scotstoun, Glasgow. A representative firm of Torpedo Boat Builders and Constructors of Shallow-draft Vessels for use at home and abroad. Established in 1864. Incorporated as a Limited Company in..1897; A. F. Yarrow, sole Director, Chairman, and owner of all the Ordinary Shares. Premises: Works covering twelve acres of ground on the riverside at Scotstoun, Glasgow, comprising shipbuilding berths, engineering and boiler-making shops, &c., upon a very extensive scale. Specialities: Torpedo Boats and Torpedo Boat Destroyers, Vessels of Shallow Draft for military and trading purposes; also the well-known " Yarrow ' Water-Tube Boilers. Many important contracts have been carried out for the British and Foreign Governments. Special attention to high-speed Naval Craft (Destroyers, &c.); Screw Steamers with speeds ranging up to forty miles an hour; Paddle and Screw Steamers for shallow waters, with drafts as low as six inches. Numerous patents have been taken out, notably for . the " Yarrow " Water-Tube Boilers; also relating to Torpedo Boats, Destroyers, and Shallow draft Vessels. Telegraphic Address; " Yarrow, Glasgow."
YATES (GEORGE S.) & CO., Leaf Tobacco Merchants, 28, Exchange Street. East, Liverpool. Hours of Business: 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1855 by George S. Yates. The following were Partners in the firm Jackson, 1874 to 1903, Ellis K. Yates from 1888, and Harold E. Jackson, 1898 to 1903. Present Principal: Ellis K. Yates. Contractors to the War Office during the South African War, 1900-1902 for Plug Tobacco for the use of the troops. Agencies: Hamburg, Paris, and Bordeaux. Speciality: Leaf Tobacco for West Africa. Connection: United Kingdom, United States, Germany, France, and Belgium. Contractors to H.M. Government (War Office). Telephone: No. 2234 Central, Liverpool. Telegraphic and Cable Address: " Tobacco, Liverpool." Codes: A B C (5th Edition), Arnold's No. 5, and Private. Bankers: London City and Midland Bank, Ltd.
YATES & JACKSON, Brewers and Maltsters, Wine and Spirit Merchants, Aerated Water Manufacturers, Old Brewery and Brock Street, Lancaster. Hours of Business: Office, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Brewery and Works, 6 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.; Saturdays, 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Established in 1878 by William Yates and George Jackson (dissolved 1903). Present Principal: George Jackson. The Old Brewery in Brewery Lane has the date 1669 on a stone over the entrance. No records obtainable earlier than the nineteenth century, when the Brewery was the property of John Proctor, Dilworth and Hargreaves, Bankers. In 1817 John and William Jackson were tenants, the chief rent consisting of one peppercorn yearly. Premises: Extensive Brewery and Malt Kilns in Brewery Lane; Malt Kilns in Queen Street; Offices and Wine and Spirit Stores and Mineral Water Works, Brock Street. Specialities: Noted for Ales and Stout. Connection: North Lancashire, Westmorland, and Yorkshire. Telephone: No. 60 Lancaster. Telegraphic Address: " Yates & Jackson, Lancaster." Bankers: Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Co., Ltd.
YAXLEY, GEORGE, Shoe Manufacturer, 24, Heigham Street, Norwich. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturdays, close at 1 p.m. Established thirty years ago by George Yaxley, the present principal. Staff: About 120. Speciality: Children's Fancy. Shoes. Connection: Export only. Bankers: Barclay & Co., Ltd.
YEOMANS, CHARLES, Swedish Iron Broker, 7, Parade Chambers, High Street, Sheffield. Hours of Business: 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1870. Present Principal: Charles Yeomans. S peciality: Swedish Iron and Steel. Co nnection: United Kingdom. Telephone: No. 79 Central, Sheffield. Telegraphic Address: " Alert, Sheffield." Code: A BC (5th Edition). Bankers: Sheffield Banking Co., Ltd.
YEW MILL CO., Ltd. (THE), Cotton Spinners, Peel Street, Heywood. Hours of Business: 6 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established in 1890. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1890. Chairman: Thomas Lord. Manager and Salesman: J. Thornton. Secretary: H. Wood. Premises: Mill contains 108,144 Mule Spindles. Staff: About 280. Specialities: American Wefts, Doubling Wefts and Twist. ConnectiOn: United Kingdom. Telephone: No. 19 Heywood. Telegraphic Address: " Yew, Heywood." Bankers: Manchester and Liverpool District Bank, Ltd.
YORK ROAD IRON CO. (THE), Pig Iron Manufacturers, Blast Furnaces, York Road. Offices: 38 and 39, Park Row, Leeds. Hours of Business: Usual. Established prior to 1872. Speciality: Cold Blast Pig Iron. Connection: United Kingdom. Telephone: No. 1264 (Central), Leeds. Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited.
YORK STREET FLAX SPINNING CO., Ltd., Flax Spinners, Power Loom Linen Manufacturers, Linen Thread Manufacturers, Linen Merchants, Bleachers, Dyers, and Finishers, Henry Street, Belfast. Hours of Business: Office, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Works, 6.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1830 by the late Andrew Mulholland; succeeded by John Mulholland, his son (the late Lord Dunleath), and 0. B. Graham, who sold the business to the present Company in 1864. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1864; reconstructed in 1888. Directors: Sir William Crawford, J.P. (Chairman and Managing Director), William Chaine, John S. Porter, 0. B. Graham, J.P. (Vice-Chairman and Managing Director), James T. Reade, Sir Thomas J. Dixon, Bart., David Lowson, Robert T. Martin, James G. Crawford (Managing Director), L. E. B. Craig (Managing Director), J. H. Stirling (Managing Director), and G. S. Reade (Managing Director), Secretary: John J. Robinson. Share Capital: £650,000; 25,000 six per cent. cumulative preference shares of £10 each and 16,000 ordinary shares of £25 each; £250,000 four-and-a-half per cent. debenture stock. Claim to have established the first Works of the kind in Ireland. Premises: The Henry Street Works cover five acres, equipped with every modern improvement; 37,000 spindles and 950 looms; York Road Works cover six acres, with 26,000 spindles; the Muckomore Bleaching, Dyeing and Finishing Works cover 150 acres. Stall: 300; Workpeople, 4,500. Branches: London, 5 and 6, Russia Row, Milk Street, E.C.; Manchester, 59, Piccadilly; New York, 107 to 113, Franklin Street; Paris, 38, Rue des Jeuneurs; Berlin, 14, Weinmeisterstrasse; Melbourne, 231, Flinders Lane. Agencies: Numerous, , on the Continent, Canada, West Indies, South America. Business: Flax Spinners, Power Loom Linen Manufacture, Linen Thread Manufacture, Linen Merchants, Bleachers, Dyers and Finishers. Connection: World-wide. Telephones: No. 2761 Belfast; No. 5669 (Bank) London; No. 492 Manchester. Telegraphic Addresses: " Yorkshire, Belfast "; " Yorlax," London, Manchester; " Egeria, New York "; " York, Paris "; " Yorklinen, Berlin." Bankers: Parr's Bank Ltd. (London); the Belfast Banking Co., Ltd. (Belfast). Sir William Crawford has been President of the Belfast Chamber of Commerce and Linen Merchants Association. Mr. 0. B. Graham has boon President of the Power Loom Manufacturers Association. Mr. J. H. Stirling has been President of the Linen Merchants Association.
YORKSHIRE CABLE CO., Ltd. (THE), Electric Cable Manufacturers, Old Park Works, Joseph Street, Bradford, Yorks. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, close at 12.30 p.m. Established in 1908 by John Stell & Sons. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Managing Directors: John Stell (Chairman ), Rowland R. Stell. Directors: Walter Stell and Myer H. Goldstone. Premises: Cover 1000 square yards, all on the ground-floor. Staff: Thirty. Branches: London, 48, Watling Street, E.C.; Glasgow, 27, Oswald Street. Specialities: V.I.R. and Bitumen Insulated Cables. Connection: United Kingdom and Colonial. Telephone: No. 1498 Bradford. Telegraphic Address: " Insulate Brad ford." Code: A B C (4th and 5th Editions). Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited.
YORKSHIRE COPPER WORKS, Ltd. (THE), Copper and Brass Tube Manufacturers, Leeds. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established in 1909 as Suc cessors to The Leeds Copper Works, Ltd., founded about twenty years ago. Incor porated as a Limited Company. Directors: S. Oppenheim (Chairman), George P. Norton (Managing Director), D. Bethmont L. Nachmann and H. Cardozo. General Manager: Kenneth Fraser, M.Inst.M. Secretary: Ernest Duffield, A.C.A. Premises: Claim that the Works are the largest in the country solely devoted to the manufacting of Copper and Brass Tubes. Very extensive Works, covering twenty acres. Equipped with the most up-to-date appliances. The Company hold over 100 acres of the surrounding land for extensions. Staff: About 500. Staff Clubs: Football, Cricket, Sick, Holiday. The Football Club won the Cup and Medals at the local " Workshops Competition " in 1911. Branches: London, 30, Great St. Helens; Glasgow, 7, Royal Bank Place; Newcastle, 19, Collingwood Buildings. Business: Manufacture of Copper and Brass Tubes only. Specialise in " Leespec" Copper Loco. Tubes, " Bernal " Brass Condenser Tubes, " Gumal " Gun Metal Tubes, Registered Trade Names. Awards: Medal and Diploma of Honour at Buenos Aires Railway and Land Transport Exhibition, 1910. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 4360 Leeds (two lines). Telegraphic Address: " Tubes, Leeds." Codes: A B C (4th and 5th Editions), Private. Bankers: Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, Ltd. ( Leeds).
YORKSHIRE DYEWARE & CHEMICAL CO., Ltd. (THE), Dyewood and Tanning Extract Manufacturers, Soap Manufacturers. Central Offices: 14, Park Square, Leeds. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1820. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1900. Directors: George Bedforth (Chairman), James E. Bedford, Charles S. Bedford, Michael Bedforth, George H. Clemons, John Marshall, Arthur Odroyd, Eldwin Turner. Staff: About 250. Branches: Six in Selby, Huddersfield, Dewsbury, and Leeds. Specialities: Dyewood and Tanning Extracts and Soaps. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 2674 Leeds. Telegraph Address: "Research, Leeds." Bankers: London City and Midland. Bank, Ltd.
YORKSHIRE ENGINEERING SUPPLIES, Ltd., Founders of Copper and White Metal Alloys, Ingham Street, Hunslet Road, Leeds. Hours of Business: 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Established in 1909 by Herbert Carr Walker, A.M.I.Mech.E., M.Inst.M. Incorporated as a private Limited Company in 1909. Managing Director: Herbert Carr Walker, A.M.I.Mech.E., M.Inst.M. Specialities: Founding of Copper and White Metal Alloys by the Patent " Eatonia " process of Casting. Connection: General. Telephone: No. 3927 Leeds. Telegraphic Address: " Yes, Leeds."
YORKSHIRE INSURANCE CO., Ltd. (THE). Chief Offices: York, St. Helens Square; London, Bank Buildings, Princes Street, E.C. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1824. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1908. Directors: Edwin Gray (Chairman), George A. Duncombe and Ellis Elias (Deputy-Chairmen), the Hon. Herbert T. Allsopp, R. de Neufville, the Right Hon. Viscount Downe, C.B., C.I.E., F. B. Eastwood, John Gordon, Sir Edward Green, Bart.,the Right Hon. Viscount Helmsley, .P., John R. Hill, W. H. Jalland, F.R.C.S., James Melrose, G. G. Milne, J. H. Stephens, the Hon. Edward G. Strutt, E. R. Turton, J. T. Ware. Actuary: Philip L. Newman. Sub-Managers: E. A Birks and W. T. Maudsley. Secretary and Manager: Jas. Hamilton. Separate Board for Scotland, Ireland, and Hull and East Riding. Branches: Chief Office for Scotland, 82, St. Vincent Street, Glasgow; Ireland, 3, College Green, Dublin; Offices in principal towns in Great Britain. Foreign and Colonial Offices: Argentine, Australia (five), France, Germany, India, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa (two), Canada, United States. Agencies in other countries. Business: All classes of Insurance. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: Nos. 669 and 670 York; No. 2737 London Wall. Telegraphic Addresses: " Yorkshire," for all Home Branches, except Hull; " Yorkshire Insurance, Hull." Bankers: Barclay & Co., Ltd. (York and London); London Joint Stock Bank, Ltd. (York City and County Bank, Ltd., York.)
YORKSHIRE OBSERVER, Ltd., Newspaper Proprietors, Publishers, General Printers, Bookbinders, and Engravers, Head Offices: 26, Kirkgitte, and 10, Piccadilly, Bradford. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1834. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1906. Directors: Sir James Roberts, Bart., J.P. (Chairman), James Hill, J.P., and W. A. Whitehead, J.P. Branches: Leeds, 54, Albion Street; Halifax, 15, Crossley Street; Dewsbury, 22, Market Place; Keighley, 58, Low Street; London, 172, Fleet Street, E.-C. Business: Proprietors of the " Yorkshire Observer" (Liberal); " Yorkshire Observer Budget," and the " Keighley News." General Printers, Bookbinders, and Engravers. Telephones: No. 3670 Bradford (Private Branch, three wires); No. 2175 Leeds; No. 1107 Holborn (London); No. 37 Keighley. Telegraphic Address: " Observer, Bradford."
YORKSHIRE PATENT STEAM WAGON CO. (THE), Branch of Deighton's Patent Flue and Tube Co., Ltd.; Manufacturers of Steam Motor Wagons, Vulcan Works, Pepper Road, Hunslet, Leeds. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 12 noon. Incorporated with Deighton's Patent Flue and Tube Co., Ltd., in 1902. Directors: Lawrence Clayton (Chairman), Joseph Clayton, John R. Pickering, William Deighton (Managing Director). Speciality: Steam Motor Wagons of all types. Patent: Boiler. Awards: Gold Medal in R.A.C. Commercial Vehicle Trials. 1907. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 1674 Leeds. Telegraphic Address: " Motor, Leeds." Codes: A 1 and A B C (5th Edition). Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited.
YOST TYPEWRITER CO., Ltd. (THE), Typewriter Manufacturers, and Dealers for the Yost Typewriter throughout the world, 50, Holborn Viaduct, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established about twenty-one years ago. Incorporated as a Limited Company, 7th April, 1891. Present Directors: T. A. Richardson (Chairman), F. C. Van Duzer, M. Bartholomew (Managing Director). Secretary: W. W. Hime. G. W. N. Yost, one of the chief inventors of the Typewriter, gives his name to the machines manufactured by the Company. Premises: Chief Dep6t and Registered Office, 50, Holborn Viaduct; Works Department, 45 and 47, Farringdon Road, E.C.; West End Branch, 293, Oxford Street; City Branch, 161, Cannon Street, E.C. Also Branches and Agencies throughout the world. Specialities: Typewriters, Typewriting Papers, Supplies, and everything appertaining to the business. Awards: A large number at International Exhibitions, including twenty-three Gold Medals. The Company are contractors to H.M. Government. Royal Warrant: To H.M. King George V. and Queen Mary. Patents: Many in connection with Typewriters. Telephones: (Holborn) Nos. 1955, 1956 and 1957 Holborn and No. 3837 Central; (Farringdon Road) No. 2079 Holborn; (Oxford Street) No. 2183 Mayfair; (Cannon Street) No. 42 Bank. Telegraphic and Cable Address: " Writers, London." Codes Al, Lieber's, A B C, Western Union, Figure, and Private.
YOULTEN'S " ONYX " PROCESS (INTERNATIONAL), Ltd., 31, Wool Exchange, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1909 by William Youlten. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Directors: J. J. Clark, J.P., R. Halley Stewart, Dr. W. J. Treutler, E. A. Wallis and William Youlten. Branches: Bradford, New Zealand, Australia, Germany and Russia. Speciality: Process for Cleaning Wool and Cotton. Connection: London and Branches. Telephone: No. 4702 London Wall, London. Telegraphic Address: " Youltonyx, Ave, London." Code: A B C. (5th Edition).
YOUNG, A. C. C., & CO., Wholesale Provision Merchants, Produce Brokers, Commission Agents, 11, Groat Market, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1840 by Charles Henry Young as Charles Henry Young & Co. Present Principal: A. C. C. Young (son). Joined in 1881. Title of firm altered in 1889. Business: Wholesale Provision Merchants, Produce Brokers and Commission Agents. Connection: United Kingdom, United States and Canada, Foreign and Colonial. Telephone: No. 193 Central, Newcastle. Telegraphic Address: " Young, Newcastleon -Tyne." Bankers: Bank of England (Newcastle). The late Mr. Charles Henry Young was an Alderman and a Justice of the Peace for Newcastle-on-Tyne; also Sheriff . Mr. A. C. C. Young is a Freeman of Newcastle Hostman's Company and Cordwainer. Club: Northern Conservative and Unionist Clubs.
YOUNG (ALEXANDER) (LONDON), Ltd., Merchants, 60, Fenchurch Street, London, E.C.; 2, Pollock Street, Calcutta; and Sharia Saptieh, Cairo. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1880 by Alexander Young. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1906. Directors: Alexander Young (Governing Director), H. F. Chalkley and F. Taylor. Business: General Merchants. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 1865 Avenue, London. Telegraphic Address: " Correspond, London." Codes: All.
YOUNG (ARCHIBALD) & SON, Cutlers, Surgical Instrument Makers and Opticians, 57 to 61, Forrest Road, Edinburgh. Hours of Business: 8.30 a.m. to 6.45 p.m.; Saturdays, close at 1 p.m. Established in the middle of the eighteenth century by Archibald Young. Continued by various generations of the same name. 3 x Present Principal: Archibald Young. Premises: Consist of Factory and Warehouse. Specialities: Surgical Instruments and Appliances designed by all the famous Edinburgh Surgeons. Patents: Various. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign and. Colonial. Royal Warrants: Held special appointments to Her late Majesty Queen Victoria and to King William IV. Telephone: No. 669 Central, Edinburgh. Telegraphic Address: " Bandage, Edinburgh." Bankers: Union Bank of Scotland, Ltd. Mr. Archibald Young Commanded the 4th Batt. The Royal Scots, Queen's Edinburgh Rifles, and completed thirty years' service. He is a member of the Edinburgh Parish Council, Edinburgh Merchants Company, Edinburgh Chamber of Commerce, Edinburgh Merchants Association. Clubs: Edinburgh Rotary, Scottish Conservative, Junior Army and Navy, &c.
YOUNG (DOUGLAS) & CO., Auctioneers and Surveyors, 51, Coleman Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1865 by Douglas Young, F.S.I. Present Principals: Douglas Young and C. Alex. Young, Fellows of the Surveyors' and Auctioneers' Institutes. Branches: 213, Clapham Road, and Croydon. Specialities: Valuations and Assessments. Are experts in Arbitration, Compensation and Rating Cases; Surveyors to the City and South London Electric, Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton (Finsbury to Strand section), Great Northern and City, Tube Railways. Valuers to the County of London Licensing Authority. Auctioneers for the Realisation of all kinds of Real and Personal Estate; also Managers of Estates. Connection: United Kingdom. Telephones: No. 3345 Wall; No. 5577 Central; No. 903 Brixton; No. 603 Croydon. Telegraphic Address: " Douglas Young, Stock, London." Mr. Douglas Young, F.S.I., is a Past President of the Auctioneers' Institute.
YOUNG & ROCHESTER, Manufacturers of Shirts, Waistcoats, Gentlemen's Dressing Gowns, Flannel Suits for Cricket, Tennis, &c., Collars, Silk Ties, &c. Warehouse and Offices: 2 and 3, Love Lane, Wood Street, London, E.C. Factories: Bermondsey, London, S.E., and Londonderry, Ireland. Established in 1865. Specialities: Shirts, Collars, and Men's Outfitting Goods generally. Connection: World-wide. Telephones: No. 3737 Central; No. 1452 City. Telegraphic Address: " Warbla, London."
YOUNGER, WM., & CO., Ltd., Brewers and Maltsters, Abbey and Holyrood Breweries, Edinburgh. Established in 1749 by an ancestor of the present Chairman. Incorporated as a Limited Company, 1887. Directors: Harry Geo. Younger (Chairman), Andrew Smith (Deputy-Chairmay), G. Stenhouse, W. J. Younger, R. Bruce, J. A. C. Younger, J. W. Sherman, A. D. Ferguson, C.A. Secretary: Robt. Bruce, jun., C.A. Branches: London, Aldershot, Manchester, Leeds, Stockton, Newcastle, Glasgow, Dublin, Belfast, Cork. Business: Brewers of all qualities of Home and Export Ale. Are particularly noted for Younger's Pale Ale, supplied to the trade and military messes. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial -; large Export business. Telephones: No. 705 Central (Orders Shipping and General Depts.); No. 932 Central (Directors and Secretary); and No. 5701 (Export Dept.). Telegraphic Address: " Holyrood, Edinburgh."