Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 142,963 pages of information and 228,875 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

1914 Who's Who in Business: Company V

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Im1914WWB-p961b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p962a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p962b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p963a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p963b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p964a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p964b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p965a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p965b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p966a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p966b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p967a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p967b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p968a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p968b.jpg

Note: This is a sub-section of 1914 Who's Who in Business

VACHER & SONS, Ltd., Stationers, Printers, &c., Westminster House, Great Smith Street, London, S.W. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Wednedays, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 12 noon. Established in 1751 by J. Powney at 29, Parliament Street. incorporated as a Limited Company in 1910. Managing Dtrectore Stanley Low and Claud Low. One of the oldest London firms in the Stationery and Printing Trades. Staff: About 200. Staff Clubs: Westminster House Athletic. Specialities: Parliamentary, Fine Art, and General Printing, Publishing, Law and General Stationery, Lithography, &c. Connection: World-wide. Royal Warrants: Special appointment as Stationers to H.M. The King. Telephone: No. 2271 Victoria, London (three lines). Telegraphic Address: " Vacheresti, Vic, London."

VAL DE TRAVERS ASPHALTE PAVING CO., Ltd., Hamilton House, Bishopsgate Street Without, London, E.C. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1871. Directors: H. C. Scott (Chairman), J. R. Crockatt,C. H. McEuen, J. D. Cooper, J. A. Scott, F.C.A. Large works at Sun Wharf, Alvar Street, Church Street, Deptford, S.E. Branches: 92, Market Street. Manchester; 4, Charlotte Street, Port Dundas, Glasgow; Pyzimont pres Seyssel, France; Travers, Switzerland; Ragusa, Sicily; Alexandria; Cairo; and Guanipa, Venezuela. Specialities: Compressed Rock Asphalte for roadways and footways. Also Mastic Asphalte for use on Roofs, Floors, Stables, Warehouses, Breweries, Reservoirs, Laundries, &c. Connection: Universal. Telephone: No. 7467 London Wall. Telegraphic Address " Traversable, Ave, London."

VALE OF NEATH DINAS FIREBRICK & CEMENT CO., Ltd., Silica Brick and Cement Manufactureis, Pontwalby Works, Glyn Neath, South Wales, and 32, Great St. Helens, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Established in 1874. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Chairman: P. N. F. Sheppard. Secretary: H. E. H. Kent. Premises: Works cover about two acres. Mines about 500 acres. Staff: About seventy. Specialities: Silica Bricks for Steel, Copper and Smelting Furnaces, Gas Works, Retort settings and special blocks, Cement for setting bricks, Ganister for Furnace Bottoms. Awards: Gold, Silver and 3Q Bronze Medals, Milan, 1906. Connection,: United Kingdom, Foreign and Colonial. Telephone: No. 17 Glyn Neath. Telegraphic Address: " Young, Glyn Neath." Bankers: Capital and Counties Bank, Ltd.

VALE (THOMAS) & SONS, Ltd., Contractors, Stourport. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1869 by the late Thomas Vale. Succeeded by sons of the above. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Directors: F. Vale (Managing Director and Chairman), T. E. Vale (Managing Director), R. P. Vale (Secretary). Premises: Very extensive. Staff: 300. Business: Gasholder, Tank Contracting, Horizontal Retort Settings on Klonne System of Regenerators, Vertical Retort Settings on the Woodall Duckham System. Connection: United Kingdom. Telephone: No. 7 Stourport. Telegraphic Address: " Vale, Stourport." Bankers: Metropolitan Bank (of England and Wales), Ltd., Stourport.

VALENTINE & SONS, Ltd., Printers and Publishers of Pictorial Post Cards, Christmas Cards, Children's Toy Books, &c., 154, Perth Road, Dundee; Westfield Works, Dundee; and Montgomery Street Works, Edinburgh. Established by James Valentine (deceased), as Engraver, 1830, and as Photographer, 1848. Incorporated as a Limited Company under present title in 1896, and reconstructed in 1907. Directors: H. P. Robbie, D. A. P. Anderson, J. Forrester, W. Kidd, A. Valentine, and H. J. Valentine (Chairman). Secretary: W. Cuthill. Premises: Head Offices in Perth Road, Dundee; Works at Dundee and Edinburgh (as above). Stall: About 600 employees, artistic, clerical, and operative. Branches: London, 19, Ivy Lane, London, E.C.; Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dublin, Liverpool, Montreal, Toronto. Specialities: Pictorial Post Cards, comprising Valentine's Series of Views and a great variety of other artistic subjects; Colour and Collotype Books, &c., Christmas and New Year Cards; Children's Toy Books, &c.

VAN DEN BERGHS, Ltd., Margarine Manufacturers and Produce Importers, &c., Mark Lane Station Buildings, Byward Street, London, E.C. Telephone: No. 4110 Avenue. Telegraphic Address: " Vandenb3rgh, London."

VANDOME, TITFORD & CO., Ltd., Scale and Weighing Machine Manufacturers, York House, 5 and 7, St. Mary Axe, London, E. C. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Established about 1680. The name of the founder is lost. For many years the proprietor was Samuel Freeman; towards the end of the eighteenth century Richard Vandome became the principal, and was succeeded in 1840 by two of his nephews, William Titford and Richard Vandome Titford (d. 1865). The former was joined in partnership by his eldest son, Arthur Titford, and Henry Pawson (d. 1881); William Titford d. 1882. Arthur Titford remained sole principal until registration. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1904. Directors: Arthur Titford (Managing Director), Edgar Titford, Herbert Edgar Titford. The firm have been Scale Makers to tho Bank of England for over 200 years, and almost for as long a period to H.M. Customs. Have customers for over 100 years. In 1885 purchased the business of William Williams & Sons, of Cannon Street. Business: The Manufac-ture of Bankers' Scales has been a prominent feature; Scales for Tea Tasters, Wrought-iron Weighing Machines for Docks and Wharves. (Claim to be the first to make them.) Large Beam Scales. Are the patentees of Bullion Beam Scale and Platform Weighing Machine, and originators of Wrought-iron Weighing Machines. Connection: United Kingdom, India, China, South America, &c.; Colonial. Telephone: No. 7919 London Wall. Bankers: London County and Westminster Bank, Ltd.

VANDYCK PRINTERS, Ltd. (THE), The Vandyck Building, Park Row, Bristol; and Byron House, 85, Fleet Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Established in 1899 by John Allen. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1911. Directors: Ernest W. Savory (Managing Director), John Allen, A. H. Lockington, C. W. Timmis, and R. E. Bush. Premises: Consist of a very fine building with a frontage of 140 feet. Specially built by the company with every facility for large orders. Staff: About 100. Business: Photogravure Specialists. Connection.: World-wide. Telephones: No. 4567 Bristol; No. 8276 Central, London. Telegraphic Addresses: " Vandyck, Bristol "; " Dureresque, London."

VAUGHAN & DYMOND, Structural Engineers and Iron and Steel Merchants, Milburn House, Newcastle-on-Tyne. Iron and Steel Warehouses: Haddock Street, Tyne Dock and Coach Lane, North Shields. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Established in 1875 by • William Steains Vaughan and Arthur D. Wedgwood. Succeeded by Charles Joseph Dymond and William Amery Vaughan. Present Principals: William S. Vaughan, Charles Joseph Dymond and William Amery Vaughan. Business: Structural Designing and Contracting and Iron and Steel Warehousing. Connection: United Kingdom, Europe, South America and India. Telephones: No. 1418 Central, Newcastleon-Tyne; No. 454 City, Newcastle-onTyne. Telegraphic Address: " Vaughan, Newcastle-on-Tyne." Codes: A B C (5th Edition) and Western Union. Bankers Lloyds Bank Limited, Newcastle. Mr. W. S. Vaughan, M.Inst.C.E., M.I.N.A., is Chairman of The Blyth Shipbuilding and Dry Docks Co., Ltd., Blyth. He is also Managing Director of Messrs. Walter Scott, Ltd., Leeds. Mr. C. J. Dymond is Director of the Anglo-Brazilian Forging, Steel Structural and Importing Co., Ltd., Newcastle. Mr. W. A. Vaughan is Managing Director of the Anglo-Brazilian Forging, Steel Structural and Importing Co., Ltd., Brazil.

VAUGHAN, H. & T., Lock Manufacturers, Standard Works, Willenhall, Staffs. Hours of Business: Office, 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 9.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established in 1860 by Henry Vaughan, Joined later by Thomas Vaughan (brother), retired in 1884. Present Principals: George Frederic Vaughan, Edmund Vaughan, Abel Harry Vaughan. Premises: Extensive, equipped with all the latest improvements. Staff: 350. Specialities: Rim and Mortice Locks, &c., " Cylinder " Rim and Mortice Locks. Night Latches, Lock Furniture of all kinds. Patents: Numerous. Connection: United Kingdom, Colonial. Telephone: No. 56 Willenhall. Telegraphic and Cable Address " Vaughan, Willenhall." Bankers: Metropolitan Bank (of England and Wales), Ltd.

VAUGHTONS, LIMITED, Workers in Gold, Silver and Bronze, Gothic Works, Livery Street, Birmingham. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established in 1819 by Philip Vaughton. Succeeded by Thomas Vaughton, Oliver Vaughton (sons), Thomas Albert Vaughton (grandson). Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1909. Directors: T. A. Vaughton (Chairman), Howard Vaughton (Secretary), Philip Vaughton, Fredk. W. Vaughton (grandsons of founder). One of the oldest houses in the trade. Formed of the old firms of P. Vaughton & Sons and Vaughton Brothers amalgamated. Specialities Medals, Coins, Badges, Tokens, Gold and Silversmiths' Work, Heraldic Work, Enamels, Dies, Seals, Punches, &c. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: Nos. 3430 and 3431 (two lines) Central. Telegraphic Address: " Emblems, Birmingham." Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited (Great Hampton Street).

VAUS & CRAMPTON, Ltd., Process and General Engravers, 31 and 32, Kirby Street, Hatton Garden, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Established: 1883. The Company is the result of the amalgamation of four or five private concerns. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1891. Directors: Walter Boutall (Chairman), Frank H. Vaus (Managing Director), Emery Walker. Premises: The Alton Works cover about two acres; also extensive premises in London. Staff: About 120. Speciality: High-class Tone and Colour Work. Connection: United Kingdom chiefly. Telephone: No. 2536 Holborn. Telegraphic Addresses: " Cameralist, London." Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited, London County and Westminster Bank, Ltd., Capital and Counties Bank, Ltd. Mr. Boutall is a Liveryman of the Stationers Company, a member of the Royal Society of Arts; has been very largely concerned in the promotion of Technical and Commercial Education in London. Mr. Walker is Chairman of the Advi-ory Committee of the L.C.C. School of Process Engraving and Lithography; Bolt Court, London.

VAUX, C., & SONS, Ltd., Brewers, Maltsters, Wine and Spirit Merchants, The Brewery, Sunderland. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1837 by Cuthbert Vaux. Continued by John Story Vaux (d.), Edwin Vaux (d.), Cuthbert Vaux and Ernest Vaux. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1896. Managing Directors: Cuthbert Vaux and Ernest Vaux. Premises: Cover three acres at Sunderland.. Equipped with modern appliances. Staff: About 500. Branches: Glasgow, Garscube Road; Leeds, Macaulay Street; Middlesbrough, Church Place; Walisend-on-Tyne, Benton Way; Spennymoor, Wombwell Street, &c. Business: Brewers and Bottlers of High Class Ales and Stouts. Awards: Medals, Newcastle Exhibition, 1887, Middlesbrough Exhibition, Bradford Exhibition, Sunderland Exhibition, Brewers' Exhibition, London, &c. Connection: United Kingdom and abroad. Telephones: Nos. 67 and 517 Sunderland; No. 277 Gorbals, Glasgow; No. 2186 Leeds; No. 8 Spennymoor; 3 Q 2 No. 294 Middlesbrough; No. 69 Wallsend. Telegraphic Addresses: " V aux," Sunderland, Glasgow, Middlesbrough, Wallsend, Spennymoor; " Stout, Leeds."

VAUXHALL MOTORS, Ltd., Motor Car Manufacturers, 174-182, Great Portland Street, London, W. Works: Luton, Beds. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, close at 1 p.m. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Managing Directors: Percy C. Kidner and L. Walton. Premises: Works at Luton, cover about four acres. Large Showrooms in Gt. Portland Street. Staff: About 700. Specialities: Motor Cars. Awards: Gold Medal, Brussels Exhibition, 1910; Diploma. of Honour, Turin Exhibition, 1911; Diploma of Honour, St. Petersburg, 1913. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: Nos. 3955 and 3956 Mayfair. Telegraphic Address: " Whirling, London." Code: A B C (5th Edition). Bankers: Capital and Counties Bank, Ltd.

VEITCH (JAMES) & SONS, Ltd., Nurserymen, Seedsmen, and Florists, The Royal Exotic Nursery, King's Road, Chelsea, London, S.W.; also at Coombe Wood, Kingston Hill, Surrey; Feltham, Middlesex; and Langley, Slough, Bucks. Established over 100 years ago by John Veitch. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1897. Nurseries cover about 150 acres. Connection: All parts of the world. Royal Warrant: To His late Majesty King Edward, granted to Harry J. Veitch. Telephone: No. 1642 Western. Tele-graphic Address: " Veitch, Chelsea."

VERITY'S, Ltd., Electrical Manufacturers. Registered Offices: 31, King Street, Covent Garden, London, W.C. Established in 1825 as Verity & Sons. Incorporated as a Company in 1896. Directorate: G. Verity (Chairman), J. F. Lister, and B. C. Evans. A. Barraud (Secretary). Specialities: Everything Electrical. Branches: Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Dublin, Newcastle and Glasgow. Factories: Plume and Victoria Works, Aston, Birmingham. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 9520 Gerrard (six lines). Telegraphic Address: " Verity, London." Codes: A 1, A B C (5th Edition), Lieber's, and Aston.

VERNON, W., & SONS, Merchant Flour Millers, The Atlantic, Brunswick Street, Liverpool. London Office: 4, Lloyd's Avenue, Fenchurch Street, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1836 by John Vernon. Succeeded by William Vernon (son) in 1864, the present senior partner; joined by John Herbert Vernon (eldest son of W. Vernon) in 1882, by William Allen Vernon (second son) in 1885, and by Thomas Thornycroft Vernon (third son) in 1888. Present Principals: William Vernon, John Herbert Vernon, William Allen Vernon, and Thomas Thornycroft Vernon. Premises: Birkenhead Mills erected in 1898, and London Mills, Victoria Dock, in 1905. Equipped with up-to-date appliances. Branches: Manchester, Corn Exchange; Birmingham, Guildhall Chambers; Stokeon-Trent, Wharf Street. Speciality: The famous Millennium Flour. Awards: Numerous Medals and Awards for Millennium Flour. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Royal Warrants: Special Appointments to H.M. King George V. and H.M. the King of Spain. Telephones: No. 6865 (six lines) Liverpool; No. 7000 (six lines) City, London. Telegraphic Addresses: " Vernon, Liverpool "; " Wavornon, London "; " Millennium," Manchester, Birmingham, Plymouth, Whitchurch (Glamorgan); " Digestive, Belfast." Bankers: United Counties Bank, Ltd.

VICARS, T. & T., Engineers, Earlestown, Newton-le-Willows, Lancashire. Hours of Business: 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established in 1849. Claim to be the oldest existing Manufacturers of Biscuit Machinery and Travelling Ovens for Ship and Fancy Biscuits. Premises:: Extensive, with frontage of 767 ft. Staff: 300 to 400. Branch Office: 20, Bucklersbury, London, E.C. Specialities: Biscuit Machinery, Mechanical Stokers. Patents: Numerous relating to these Specialities. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Contractors to H.M. Government (Admiralty). Telephones: No. 16 Newton-le-Willows; No. 9806 City, London. Telegraphic Addresses: " Vicars, Earlestown "; " Vicarship, Cannon, London." Cable Address: " Vicars, Earlestown." Bankers: Bank of Liverpool, Ltd.

VICKERMAN, B., & SONS, Ltd., Woollen and Worsted Manufacturers. Warehouse and Registered Office: 82, John William Street. Factories: Taylor Hill Mills, Huddersfield; Thongsbridge Mills, Huddersfield. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established in 1792 by Francis Vickerman. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1888. Directors: A. Vickerman Priestley (Chairman and Managing Director), John Thornton, H. Leppington Thornton, George L. Craig. London Office: 23, Golden Square, W. Agencies: New York, Toronto, Sydney, Durban. Specialities: Plain and Fancy Woollen and Worsted Cloths. Connection,: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 5 Huddersfield; Warehouse and Registered O3ice, No. 653 Hudder.sfield. Telegraphic and Cable Addresses: " Vickerman, Huddersfield "; " Opitulor, London." Bankers: Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, Limited.

VICKERS & HINE, Ltd., Lace Manufacturers, 16, Stoney Street, Nottingham. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1818 by Joseph Freerson. and William Vickers; succeeded by (1) William Vickers; (2) William Vickers (jun.); (3) Vickers & Hine; (4) Vickers & Hine, L' d. One of the oldest houses in the trade. Prior to 1870 manufactured Needle-run Laces from Pusher and Warp Machines; subsequently Fancy Cotton Laces, Valenciennes, Torchons, and Embroidery Laces. Telephone: No. 3021 Nottingham. Telegraphic Address: " Vigour, Nottingham." Bankers: Nottingham and Notts Banking Co. Ltd.

VICKERS (JOSEPH & JOHN) & CO., Ltd., Distillers, Whisky Blenders, and Wine and Spirit Merchants, Victoria Distillery, Fulham, London, S.W. Royal Warrants: By Appointment to H.M. King George V. Also held Royal Warrants from His late Majesty King Edward VII. and Her late Majesty Queen Victoria. One of tho best - known firms of distillers in the metropolis. Established in the eighteenth century, when the rectifying business of Joseph and John Vickers & Co. was first commenced in the Borough, near London Bridge. Removed in 1860 to Victoria Street, Westminster, where the handsome buildings now occupied by the Army and Navy Co-operative Society were erected. In present premises at Fulham since 1881. The Victoria Distillery is equipped for the production of high-class Gins and Cordials, in connection with which Messrs. Vickers have gained a world-wide reputation. As the original recipes have been carefully preserved and handed down from generation to generation, the claim is made that their Gins and Cordials are identical with those which enabled the business to be worked up to its present position. Specialities: London Dry Gin, London Old Tom Gin, Liqueur Sloe Gin, Ginger Brandy, Cherry Brandy, Orange Bitters. (The purity of each of these articles is guaranteed by the firm, and .both the Gins and the Cordials sire Qf high class.) Also Blended Whiskies of fine quality, the product of carefully-selected stills. Export to all parts of the world. Agencies established in America, Africa, Canada, Australasia, and India. Telephone: No. 121 Western. Telegraphic Address: " Spirituous, London." Cable Code: A B C (5th Edition).

VICKERS, Ltd., Steel Manufacturers. Registered and Transfer Office: Vickers House, Broadway, Westminster, London, S.W.; Riper Don Works, Sheffield; Naval Construction Works, Barrow-in-Furness; and Ordnance Works, Erith, Kent. Hours of Business: Usual. Established prior to 1790 by George Naylor. Continued by (1) Naylor, Hutchinson, Vickers & Co., in 1829; (2) Naylor, Vickers & Co. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1867 as Vickers, Sons & Co., Ltd. Re-registered in 1897 as Vickers, Sons & Maxim, Ltd., and changed in 1911 to Vickers, Ltd. Directors: Albert Vickers (Chairman and Managing Director), Douglas Vickers (Managing Director), and Sir Trevor Dawson (ViceChairman and Managing Director); Sir Vinvent Caillard, Sir William Beardmore, Bt., Vincent C. Vickers, Francis H. Barker, James McKechnie and Wm. Clark. In 1897 the Company purchased the business of the Naval Construction and Armaments Co., Ltd., at Barrow-in-Furness, and the business of The Maxim Nordenfelt Guns and Ammunition Co., Ltd., acquired by amalgamation. Have also a large interest in William Beardmore & Co., Ltd., Glasgow; Whitehead & Co., Torpedo Manufacturers, and in other Companies interested in the manufacture of Warlike Stores. One of the oldest firms in the trade. Premises: Very extensive Works, equipped throughout with up-todate appliances. Specialities: Armour Plates, Guns, Marine Shafting, Railway Material and Electrical Machinery. Ships of War and of Commerce. Owners of the Wolseloy Tool and Motor Car Co., Ltd. Makers of Motor Cars, &c., and of the Electric and Ordnance Accessories Co., Ltd. Patents: Many. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 10110 Gerrard (six lines) London; No. 3200 (six lines); No. 3201 (Secretary's Room); No. 5 Sheffield; No. 14 (four lines); No. 105 (Secretary's Room); No. 1 Barrow-inFurness. Telegraphic Address: " Vickers," London, Sheffield, Barrow. Bankers: Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co.; London City and Midland Bank, Ltd.; Sheffield Banking Co., Ltd., London County and Westminster Bank, Ltd.; Barclay & Co., Ltd,; Lloyds Bank Limited,

VICKERY, J. C., Manufacturer of Smart Jewellery, Gold and Sterling Silver-ware, Watches, Clocks, Lovely Leather Goods, Dressing Cases, Suit Cases, and articles de luxe for Motoring and Travelling, 179, 181, 183, Regent Street; and 1, New Burlington Place, London, W. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Established by J. C. Vickery, the present sole proprietor. Specialities: The Production and Manufacture of the very latest idea 3 in Jewellery, Gold and Silver, Silver Table and Toilet Ware; Silver, Tortoiseshell, and Leather Writing Table Sets, Writing Tables, Card Tables, Liqueur Tables, Dressing Bags and Cases, Suit Cases, Dispatch and Jewel Cases, Motor Cases, Tea and Luncheon Baskets, &c. Connection: World-wide. Royal Warrants: To His Majesty the King, to Her Majesty the Queen, to His late Majesty King Edward, 1-1.M. Queen Alexandra, Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, His late Majesty the King of Portugal, T.M. the King and Queen of Denmark, H.M. the Queen of Norway, Her Majesty the Queen of Sweden, T.R.H. the Prince and Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein, and H.S.H. the Princess of Monaco. Telephone: No. 3982 Central. Telegraphic Address: " Vicereale, London."

VICTORIA HOUSE PRINTING CO., Ltd., (THE), Newspaper and General Printers and Publishers, Tudor House and Victoria House, Tudor Street, Whit efriars, London, E.C. Hours of Business: Open day and nigh t. Established in 1899 by the late Sir George Newnes, Bart. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Directors: Sir Frank Nownes, Bart. (Chairman), Novilo S. Foster and L. G. Melbourne. General Manager: S. G. Drew. Premises: Constructed as Offices for the " Westminster Gazette," the " Westminster Budget," and the " Weekly Dispatch." Now used as newspaper and general printing office. A four-storey building and basement, all connected, about 16,000 square feet. Staff: 263 on pay roll. Business: Newspaper and Periodical production. Connection: United Kingdom and Foreign. Telephone: Nos. 1811 and 1812 City.

VICTORIA RUBBER CO., Ltd. (THE), India Rubber Manufacturers, Leith Walk, Edinburgh. London Office and Warehouse: 17, Aldermanbury, E.C. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1879 by Patrick Millar Matthew. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1893. Directors t P. M. Matthew (Chairman), F. W. Carter and J. W. Moir. Premises: Cover about two and a half acres, the freehold property of the Company. Staff; About 250. Specialities: Rubber Boots and Shoes. Also Waterproof Goods of every description. Patents and Inventions: Numerous. Connection I United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Contractors to H.M. Government (Army and Navy). Telephone No. 708 Leith. Telegraphic Address 1" Victoria Rubber, Edinburgh." Code; A B C (5th Edition).

VICTORIA STAMPING CO., Manor Works, Wednesfield Road, Willenhall, Staffs. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1902 by Edwin Mills. Present Principals: Edwin Mills and Arthur J. Vaughan (joined 1909). Specialities: Small and Medium Drop Forgings. A special feature made of Yellow Metal Work. Patent: For Finishing Cable' Chain Studs for the Admiralty, &c. Contractors to H.M. Government (Admiralty) for Drop Forgings. Bankers: Metropolitan Bank (of England and Wales), Ltd.

VINTON & CO., LIMITED, Publishers and Printers, 8, Bream's Buildings, Chancery Lane, London, E.C. Telephone: No. 1180 Holborn. Telegraphic Address: "Vinton Company, London."

VIRGOE, MIDDLETON & CO., Manufacturers and Warehousemen, 34, Wood Street, and 1; Love Lane, Cheapside, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 830. a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established in 1869. Branch: 160, 5th Avenue, New York. Specialities: Are well-known Manufacturers of Silk Scarves, Cravats, Mufflers, Handkerchiefs, Dressing Gowns, Pyjamas, Tennis and Boating Suits, Shirts, Collars, Braces, Waistcoats, Umbrellas, Rugs. Make a special feature of Flannels, Ceylons, Cotton, and Silk Shirtings. Connection: Home, United Slates, Canada and General Foreign and Colonial Trade. Telephone: No. 3456 London Wall, London. Telegraphic Address: " Virgoe, London." Code: A B C (5th Edition).

VIROL, Ltd., Manufacturers of Virol, a Food for Infants, &c., 152 to 166, Old Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1900, promoted by Bovril, Ltd. Directors: Bertram Stuart Straus, J.P. (Chairman), Arthur Ernest Granney (Managing Director), William Elliott Lawson Johnston and Albert Searl. Secretary: F. J. Bobeer Farrell. Branches: Manchester, Liverpool, Bristol, Newcastle, Birmingham, Glasgow, Dublin, &c. Business: Manufacture of Virol. Telephone.: No. 350 London Wall, London. Telegraphic Address ! " Corpuscles, London." Codes: A B C (4th and 5th Editions), A 1.

VIVIAN & SONS, Copper, Lead, Zinc, Silver and Gold Smelters, Copper, Yellow Metal, Brass Tubes and Lead Manufacturers, Sulphate of Copper Makers and Colliery Proprietors, Hafod Copper Works, Swansea, S. Wales. Hours of Business: Usual. Branches: London, Bond Court House, Walbrook, E.C.; Manchester, 7, St. Peter's Square; Liverpool, 4, Crooked Lane, Strand Street; Birmingham, 3, Regent Street, St. Paul's. Specialities: Copper, Yellow Metal, Brass and Copper Tubes, Zinc, Sulphate of Copper, Lead (Pig, Sheet and Pipe), Silver and Gold. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign and Colonial. Telephones: No. Central 1221 Private Branch Exchange, Swansea; No. 6759 City, London. Telegraphic Address: " Vivians," Swansea and London. Codes: A B C and Lieber's.

VIVIAN, YOUNGER & BOND, Metal Merchants, Baltic House, 27, Leadenhall Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1859. Present Principals: William Cotesworth Bond, Cecil Lindsay Budd, and Julius Adolphus Amschel. Business: Metal Merchants. Telegraphic Address: " Bond, London." Codes: Premier, Lieber's, Broomhall, Moreing and Neal, Bedford McNeill, Western Union, A B C. Mr.. Budd is Chairman of the London Metal Exchange.

VOELCKER (DR. AUGUSTUS) & SONS, Analytical and Consulting Chemists, Stuart House, 1, Tudor Street, London. E.C. Hours of Business: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Established in 1864 by Dr. Augustus Voelcker, F.R.S. (d.). Present Principals: Dr. J. Augustus Voelcker, M.A., B. Sc. , F.I. C. , Edward William Voelcker, A.R.S.M., F.I.C. Business: Analytical and Consulting Chemists, especially in reference to Agriculture. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 8592 City. Telegraphic Address: "Voelcker, Fleet, London. Bankers: Parr's Bank, Ltd.

VOGT & MAGUIRE, Steam and Sailing Ship Brokers, Brokers for the Sale of Shipping, Agents in Average Matters, Casualties, -&c., 29 and 31, South Castle Street, Liverpool. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1895 by Johan Vogt and James W. Maguire, the present prin cipals. Branch: Docks, Preston. Business: Steam and Sailing Ship Broking; Bunker Coals supplied; Agents for th© Sale of Mining Timber, Props and Swedish Balks; Sale of New and Secondhand Tonnage. Contracts for New Building. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial, chiefly Scandinavia. Telephones: Nos. 4636 and 4637 (National) Bank, Liverpool; No. 238 (National) Preston. Telegraphic Addresses: " Vogt, Liverpool "; " Vogt, Preston." Codes: Watkin's; Scott's; Zebra; A 1.

VOLLMER (HENRY) & SON, Manufacturers and Importers of Buttons, Trimmings, Braids, Belts, Furs, &c. (wholesale supplied only, 41, Spear Street, Manchester, and 4, New Zealand Avenue, Barbican, London, E.C. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1867 by Henry Vollmer, joined by Percy Vollmer, the present principals. Specialities: All classes of Buttons, Trimmings and Braids, &c. Ladies' and Children's Belts in Leather and all Materials, Imitation Fur Collars and Muffs. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 1068 City, Manchester; No. 4943 London Wall, London. Telegraphic Addresses: " Vollmer, Manchester "; " Globulous, Barb, London." Code: A B C (5th Edition). Bankers: Union Bank of Manchester, Ltd. (Head Office).

VORNBERGER & CO., Ltd., Skin Dressers, Clock, Racquet, and Musical Instrument String Makers, 5, Cow Cross Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Established in 1882 in London by Frank Vornberger and Charles Vornberger; started in Glasgow much earlier. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1891. Directors: Charles Vornberger (Chairman and Managing Director), Charles Vornberger, jun., and John McBride (Managing Directors), H. F. Hebert (Secretary). Staff: About 600. Branches: About twenty-five throughout England, Scotland, and Ireland. Specialities: Sausage Casings, Tennis Strings, Gut Sash-lines, Musical Instrument Strings. Are the patentees of a Gut-cleaning Machine. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign (especially Germany). Telephone: No. 736 Holborn. Telegraphic Address: " Wurstdarm, London." Bankers: London City and Midland Bank, Ltd.

VULCAN OIL CO. (LEICESTER), Ltd., Manufacturers of High -class Lubricants and Merchants of Foreign Produce, Gosling Street, Leicester, Stocl•s held at London, Liverpool, Bristol, Hull and Manchester. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Established in 1899 by A. Lee as The Vulcan Oil Co. Incorporated as a private Limited Company in 1913. Directors: Alfred Lee and S. A. Lee. Secretary: Nathaniel Baker. Specialities: In Lubricants for the Leather Trade. Telephone: No. 4879 Leicester. Code: A B C (5th Edition ). Bankers: Northamptonshire Union Bank, Ltd. (Leicester).

VULCANITE, Ltd., Manufacturers of Vulcanite. Registered Office: 7, Donegall Square West. Works at Laganvale, Belfast; Old Ford, London, E.; Trafford Park, Manchester and Alexandria, Egypt. Hours of Business: Usual. Incorporated as a private Limited Company as The Patent Vulcanite Roofing and Asphalte Co., Ltd. Re-registered as a public Company in 1901. Directors: Sir Robert Anderson, Bart., D.L. (Chairman), Colonel R. G. Sharman-Crawford, D.L., and Hamilton McCleery. Business: Patent Vulcanite Flat Roofing Contractors and Manufacturers of Vulcanite Sheet Asphalte and Ready Roofing Felts. Patents: Rights for Roofing. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 99 Malone, Belfast; No. 5532 Bank, London; No. 78 Trafford Park, Manchester; No. 816 Central, Newcastle -on -Tyne. Telegraphic Addresses: " Vulcanite, Belfast "; " Rooflet, Cannon, London "; and " Rootlet, Manchester." Code: A B C (5th Edition). Bankers: Belfast Banking Co., Ltd.; Union of London and Smiths Bank, Ltd. Sir Robert Anderson, Bart., has been Lord Mayor of Belfast.

" V.V." (VIS VIT]E) BREAD CO., Ltd., (THE), Wholesale Bakers and Confectioners, 16 to 22, Brewery Road, London, N. Hours of Business: Office, 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m Incorporated as a Limited Company, trading as The " V. V." Bread Co., Ltd. Reformed in 1897, trading as The " V. V." (Vis Vitae) Bread Co., Ltd. Directors: F. Beddow, F.C.A. (Chairman), A. Boake, F.C.S., A. W. Gotto, H. Hudson, F. B. Parfitt, J.P. Premises: Claim to have one of the largest bakeries in London, well fitted with modern appliances. Staff: About 200. Business: Manufacture of " V. V." Bread made from yeast by a special secret process. Awards: 41 Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals and Diplomas. Trade Mark: " V. V." (Vis Vitce). Connection: Chiefly London and Suburbs. Some provincial customers. Telephone: No. 435 North, London. Telegraphic Address " Vis Vitre, London."

VYSE, SONS & CO., Ltd., Wholesale Warehousemen and Manufacturers, 76, Wood Street, London, E.C. Incorporated January, 1900. Directors: Sidney Thirkell, Claude Thirkell, Joseph Fairer, Peter Vezey. Secretary: F. L. Osborne, A.C.A. Warehouses at 76, Wood Street, and at Manchester, Paris and Brussels; Registered Office, 76, Wood Street, E.C.; Factories, Luton and St. Albans. Specialities: Straw Hats (the " Orb " Make), of which the Company are well-known manufacturers on an extensive scale; Feathers, Flowers, Millinery, and Milliners' Requisites generally. Are also Furriers and Blouse Manufacturers. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 5224 London Wall (five lines). Telegraphic A ddress: " Vyse, London."

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information