Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 148,337 pages of information and 233,846 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.

1914 Who's Who in Business: Company O

From Graces Guide

Jump to: navigation, search
Im1914WWB-p725b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p726a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p726b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p727a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p727b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p728a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p728b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p729a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p729b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p730a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p730b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p731a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p731b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p732a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p732b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p733a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p733b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p734a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p734b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p735a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p735b.jpg
Im1914WWB-p736a.jpg
Im1914WWB-p736b.jpg

Note: This is a sub-section of 1914 Who's Who in Business

OAKES (JAMES) & CO., Makers of Pig Iron, Gas and Water Pipes, Cylinders, Engineers' Castings, &c., Alfreton Iron Works, Derbyshire; 60, Queen Victoria Street, London, E.C.; • and 14, Temple Street, Birmingham. Hours of Business 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established in 1800 by the Oakes family and continued by the same family. Present Principals: James Oakes, Gerard Oakes and Charles Henry Oakes. Manager: W. Ralph Bates. A very old firm, they made shot and shell for the Crimean War in 1853-1854. The firm is entirely self-contained: Coal Mines, Iron Ore Mines, Sand Quarries, &c. Premises: Cover a large area. Men Employed: Iron Works, 800; Colliery, 3000. Specialities: Flange Work for Power Stations and Condensing Plants, Pig Iron, Gas and Water Pipes, Cylinders, Engineers' Castings up to forty tons weight, also Tar Macadam for Roads. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign and Colonial. Telephone: No. 8 Riddings. Telegraphic Address: " Oakes Works, Riddings."

OAKHILL BREWERY CO., Ltd. (THE), Oakhill, near Bath. Hours of Business: 6 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established in 1767 by Jillard, Spencer & Co. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1889. Directors: Frederick Spencer, J.P., D.L. (Chairman), Col. Wm. Maxwell Shorston, D.S.O., Huntly Gordon Spencer, J.P. (Secretary), Reginald Arthur Hobhouse, J.P. Is one of the oldest-established firms in the trade. Premises: Bottling Stores, Upper York Street, Bristol; Fanny Street, Cathays, Cardiff; and Hastings Street, Manchester. Speciality: Invalid Stout. Telephones: No. 44 (Corn Street); No. 3123 Bristol; No. 2 Oakhill. Telegraphic Address: " Curtis, Bristol." Bankers: Stuckey's Banking Co., Ltd.; National Provincial Bank of England, Ltd. (Cardiff).

OATES, THOMAS & S., Ltd., Shipbrokers, &c., Baltic Buildings, Grimsby. Dock Offices: Immingham. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established about 100 years ago. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1912. Directors: Stephen M. Oates, Arthur D. Oates, and Anthony Bannister. Business: Shipowners, Shipbrokers, Coal and Iron Shippers, Insurance Agents and Surveyors and Bunker Coal Merchants. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign and Colonial. Telephone: No. 8 Grimsby. Telegraphic Address: " Oates, Grimsby." Code: Scott's. Bankers: London Joint Stock Bank, Ltd.

O'BRIEN, J. P., & CO., Ltd., Export Bottlers, 10 and 12, Pall Mall, Liverpool. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1864 by the late J. P. O'Brien. Succeeded by Percy D. P. O'Brien (d.) and George Audley. Converted into a Limited Liability Company in 1911, with a capital of £25,000. Directors: G. Audley and G. A. Greig. Premises: Two large Warehouses. Staff: 100. Branch: 8, Tariff Street, Liver-pool. Business: Home and Export Bottlers of Guinness's Stout and Bass's Ales. Connection: United Kingdom,' Foreign, Colonial. Ship regularly to over 200 different Ports all over the world. Telephone: No. 6547 (Central), Liverpool. Telegraphic and Cable Address: " Dagger, Liverpool." Codes: All; also private ones. Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited.

" OBSERVER " (THE), 12 and 14, Newton Street, Holborn, London, W.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. The oldest existing Sunday newspaper, founded in 1791. Telephones: 4306 Gerrard (four lines) and 1667 City. Telegraphic Address: " Observer, London." Bankers: Coutts & Co.

OCEAN ACCIDENT & GUARANTEE CORPORATION, Ltd. (THE), 36 to 44, Moorgate Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9.30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Established in 1871 as the " Ocean, Railway, and General Travellers' Corporation." Constituted under present title by Act of Parliament, 1890. Has absorbed several other companies, and has become one of the most important undertakings of its kind. Manager and Secretary: T. M. E. Armstrong. Branches: The Corporation has branches and agencies throughout the world, including many London branch offices and others in the principal towns and cities of the United Kingdom, the Colonies, &c. Business: Accident Insurance of all kinds, Fire Insurance, Motor Car, Domestic Servants' Insurance, Fidelity Guarantee, Employers' Liability, Public Liability, Burglary Insurance, Licence Insurance, Excess Bad Debt Insurance, Boiler and Lift Insurance, &c. Telephone: No. 380 London Wall (six lines). Telegraphic Address: " Ocean, London."

OCEANIC STEAMSHIP CO.—See JACKSON, J., & SONS.

ODAMS' MANURE & CHEMICAL CO., Ltd., 11, Hart Street, Mark Lane, London, E.C. Factories: Odams' Wharf, North Woolwich Road, Victoria Docks, London, E.; and at Topsham, Devon. Established in 1855. Incorporated in the same year. Present Directors: C. H. Dorman (Chairman); C. W. Tindall (Deputy-Chairman), Henry Hill, F. B. Lacy (Managing Director), Fredk. Richardson, J. A. Shirer. Premises: Factory at Victoria Docks covers six acres. Also a Factory at Topsham, near Exeter. Specialities: Fertilizers of all descriptions. Royal Warrant: Special Appointment to H.M. the King. Telephone: No. 9779 Contra]. Telegraphic Address: " Nitrophos, London." Codes: A B C (4th and 5th Editions); Lieber's.

ODHAMS, Ltd., Printers and Publishers, 92, 93 and 94, Long Acre, and 25, Floral Street, Covent Garden, London, W.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., or later for clients. Established in 1846 by William Odhams; succeeded in 1889 by John Lynch Odhams and William J. B. Odhams. Branch business started as Odhams Brothers, Ltd., in 1894. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1898, an amalgamation of the two businesses. In 1912 the business of Southwood, Smith & Co., Ltd., was acquired and absorbed. Speciality: Newspaper Printing and Managing. Connection,: Almost exclusively London. Telephones: No. 2595 Gerrard (four lines), Long Acre; No. 2313 Gerrard, King Street.

ODLING (ANSELM) & SONS, Ltd., Marble and Granite Merchants, Quarry Owners, Importers and Colonial Merchants. Head Office, Crown Wharf, 132, New North Road, London, N.; Exchange Wharf, 285-9, Vauxhall Road, Liverpool. Established in 1870 by the late Anselm Odling. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1892. Directors: Herbert C. Odling (Chairman and Managing Director), F. J. Odling (Liverpool), T. G. C. Fitzpatrick (Liverpool), G. A. Odling (Carrara),. W. A. Odling (Australia). Premises: Wharves in. London and Liverpool, Hull, Glasgow, and Plymouth; Quarries and Studios at Carrara, Italy. Branches: Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane. Speciality: Every description of Marble Work; Australian Marble from own quarries; Contractors for Decorative Marble Work for buildings. Inventors of a Machine for economically making Marble Flooring; used for the first time in the construction of the floor of the New Sessions House, Old Bailey. Connection,: United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa. Telephones: (London), No. 3440 North; (Liverpool), No. 7313 Central. Telegraphic Addresses: " Odling, Hox, London "; " Odling, Liverpool." Bankers: Union of London and Smiths Bank, Ltd. Club: City Liberal.

O'DONNELL, JOHN PATRICK, Consulting Engineer and Chartered Patent Agent, Palace Chambers, 9, Bridge Street, Westminster, London, S.V. Hours of Business: 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.; Saturdays, 9.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established in 1885 by John Patrick O'Donnell, M.Inst.C.E., M. Inst.Mech. E. , M. Am. Soc. C. E., Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents. Agents: In all the principal cities abroad. Business: Railway Engineering and Patent Agency work. Connection: Worldwide. Telephone: No. 3118 Gerrard. Telegraphic Address: " Odonnell, London." Bankers: London Joint Stock Bank, Ltd. Clubs: St. Stephen's, Savage, Royal Automobile.

OGDEN (JAMES E.) & SONS, Ltd., Hat, Cap, and Trimming Manufacturers, New Bridge Street, Manchester. Hours of Business: 6.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1880 by James E. Ogden. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Managing Director: James E. Ogden. Specialities: Hats, Caps, and Trimmings; Hat Leather Manufacturers. Connection • United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 1836 City, Manchester; No. 733 Cheetham Hill. Telegraphic Address: " Energy, Manchester." Bankers: Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, Ltd.

OGILVIE (THOMAS) & SON, Wholesale Woollen Merchants, 77, Dee Street, Aberdeen. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established about 1850 by Thomas Ogilvie. Joined by Thomas Ogilvie (son), Thomas Ogilvie (junior), and James T. Ogilvie (grandsons). Present Principals: Thomas Ogilvie and James T. Ogilvie. Originally Silk Hat Makerd, now Woollen Warehousemen. Also own the North of Scotland Clothworking Co. All Woollens thoroughly shrunk and finished (London process) by this Department. In 1904 purchased the Woollen business of Charles Cockshutt & Co., Toronto, and the Woollen Department of Wyld, Darling & Co., Toronto, Canadian business now Limited, trading as Thomas Ogilvie, Sons, Ltd. Premises: Extensive. Ogilvie Building, erected 1908 (eight storey), situated at the corner of Bay Street and Wellington Street, Toronto. Business: Woollen Merchants. Telephone: No. 245 Aberdeen. Telegraphic Address: " Ogilvie," Aberdean and Toronto. Code: A B C (5th Edition). Bankers: North of Scotland and Town and County Bank, Ltd. (Aberdeen); Dominion Bank of Canada (Toronto).

OGILVY BROTHERS, Jute Manufacturers, Gairie Works, Kirriemuir, Forfarshire, 4, Milk Buildings, London, E.C., and 8, Princes Square, Glasgow. Hours of Business: Usual. Present Principal: William Ogilvy. Premises: Extensive fully equipped works in Kirriemuir. Staff: 700. Specialities: All kinds of Hessians, Scrims, Beddings, Bags, Beds and Hessian Aprons. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign and Colonial. Telephone: No. 1 Kirriemuir. Telegraphic Address • " Ogilvys, Kirriemuir." Code: A B C (5th Edition). Mr. Ogilvy was Provost of Kirriemuir for 1913.

OGSTON, G. H., & MOORE, Analytical Chemists, 39, Lime Street, London, E.C. Hour3 of Business: Usual. Established in 1859 by G. H. Ogston. Present Principals: F. H. Moore, F.C.S., Alex. H. Bennett, B.Sc. Branch: Catania, Sicily. Speciality: The Analysis of Phosphate Rocks, Manures, Tartaric and Citric Acid Materials, Essential Oils, Lubricating Oils, and General Analyses. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 1958 Avenue.

OGSTON & TENNANT, Ltd., Soap and Candle Manufacturers, St. Rollox Soap and Candle Works, Renfrew, Loch Street, Aberdeen, and Emmett Street, Limehouse, London, E. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1898 as an amalgamation of the Soap and Candle Branch of Charles Tennant & Co., and A. Ogston & Sons. Directors: A. M. Ogston (Chairman), Thomas Alexander, F. J. Tennant, James Ogston (Managing Director), William Alexander (Managing Director) and A. G. Ogston. Branches: Belfast, Limerick, Cork, Ballina, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, Birmingham. Specialities: Hard, Soft and Toilet Soaps, Candles and Soap Powders. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 16 Central, Aberdeen; No. 512 Paisley. Telegraphic Addresses: " Ogston," Aberdeen, Renfrew.

O'HARA, MATTHEWS & CO.—See BURRELL & CO., Ltd. (Proprietors).

OIL WELL SUPPLY CO., Engineers, Pittsburgh, United States; Dashwood House, London, E.C.; and 70, West Street, New York. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Established in 1862. President: Louis Brown. Vice-President: Louis C. Sands. Treasurer: D. G. Brown. Secretary: Grant Hubley. Claim to be the largest and oldest manufacturers in the world for Well Drilling Tools and Supplies. Branches: Offices and Warehouses at all principal points in the oil fields. Specialities: Everything supplied to drill and equip Oil, Gas and Water Wells. Patents: Numerous. Awards: Several, gained at a number of exhibitions. Connection: World-wide. Telephone: No. 3816 City, London. Telegraphic Address: " Wellscoy, London."

O'KEEFE (EDWARD), Ltd., Fertiliser Manufacturers and Licensed Horse Slaughterers, Grease Manufacturers. Head Office and Works: Mill Street, Dublin. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1870 by Edward O'Keefe. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1898. Directors: Edward O'Keefe (Chairman), T. O'Keefe Kinsella (Managing Director). Premises: Cover five acres in Mill Street. Branch Works: Gracedieu, Waterford. Specialities: S up erphos-phatos, Bone Manures, Complete Fertilisers for all Crops. Importers of Peruvian Guano. Telephone: No. 45 Dublin. Telegraphic Address: " Manure, Dublin." Banker.: Hibernian Bank, Ltd.

OKURA & CO., Ltd., Importers and Exporters, 53, New Broad Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established in 1872 by K. Okura. Present Principals: K. Okura, K. Takashima, K. Okura (jun.), Kumema Okura, C. Kadono, H. Okura. Head Offices in Tokyo. Branches in New York, Hamburg, Sydney, Shanghai, Hankow, Tientsin, Dalny, Seoul; also numerous branches in principal towns of Japan. Business: Merchant Engineers, General Import and Export trade between Japan and Great Britain, Continent, United States, and China. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 371 London Wall (two lines). Telegraphic Address: " Okura, London." Londbn Manager: George Osborn. Bankers: Yokohama Specie Bank; Hong-Kong and Shanghai Bank.

OLD CASTLE IRON & TINPLATE CO., LIMITED, Tinplate Manufacturers, Llanelly, Carmarthenshire. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1866 by the present Company. Incorporated as a Limited Company in the same year. Managing Director: David Williams. Specialities: Tin and Terne Plates and Black Plates. Telephone: No. 356 (National) Llanelly. Telegraphic Address: " Castle, Llanelly." Codes: A 1; A B C. Bankers: London and Provincial Bank, Ltd. (Llanelly).

OLDHAM BOILER WORKS CO., Ltd., Boiler Makers, Oldham Edge, Oldham. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1816 by Joseph Pritchard & Sons. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1874. Directors: Ralph Holden (Chairman), Fred Rothwell, Charles E. Holden, William Taylor, and James Dronsfield. Manager: Walter F. Schofield. Secretary: Fred H. Taylor. One of the oldest firms in the trade. Specialities: High Pressure Lancashire and Cornish Boilers up to 200 per square inch. Patents: Mirifin and Nield's Combustion-Chambered Boiler. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 16 Oldham. Telegraphic Address " Boilers, Oldham." Codes: Al, A B C (5th Edition). Bankers: Manchester and County Bank, Ltd.

OLDHAM, GEORGE WILLIAM, Silk Dyers, Moll Spring Dyeworks, Netherton, near Huddersfield. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1857 by Henry Oldham and George William Oldham (dissolved, 1872). Taken over by G. W. Oldham. Present Principals: George William Oldham, J.P., and George Thompson Oldham (since 1896). Staff: 110 to 120. Specialities: Silk Yarn Dyeing, Warps and Hank. Connection: United Kingdom and France. Telephone: No. 4 Honley. Telegraphic Address: " Netherton, Yorks." Bankers: West Yorkshire Bank, Ltd.

OLDPARK PRINTWORKS CO., Ltd. (THE), Bleachers, Mercerisers, Printers and Finishers, Oldpark, Belfast. Hours of Business: 6.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1883. Directors: Charles W. Black, John Sinclair and William Blair. Specialities: Printing by Machine and Hand of Linen and Cotton Handkerchiefs, Dress Goods, &c. Telephone: No. 169 Belfast. Bankers: Provincial Bank of Ireland, Ltd.

OLDROYD, M., & SONS, Ltd., Woollen Manufacturers, Dewsbury, Yorkshire. London Office: Bassishaw House, Basinghall Street, E.C. Hours of Business: Factory, 6 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.; Warehouse, 8.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1817 by Mark Oldroyd, father of the present Chairman. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1873. Directors: Sir Mark Oldroyd (Chairman), G. H. Oldroyd, Joshua Mitchell, Alfred Spedding, and F. P. Mitchell. Secretary: F. P. Mitchell. Premises: Very extensive and well equipped with up-to-date appliances. Extend over eleven acres. Stall: 1,600. Specialities: Tweeds, Coatings, and Serges for Men's Wear and Juvenile Clothing; also Dress and Costume Cloths. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 44 Dewsbury. Telegraphic Addresses: " Oldroyd," Dewsbury and London. Bankers: London City and Midland Bank, Ltd.

OLIPHANT, ANDERSON & FERRIER, Publishers, 100, Princes Street, Edinburgh, and 21, Paternoster Square, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established in 1807 by William Oliphant. Partnership Successions: (1) Oliphant & Brown; (2) Oliphant, Balfour & Brown; (3) Oliphant, Waugh & Innes; (4) William Oliphant; (5) William Oliphant & Sons; (6) William Oliphant & Co.; (7) Oliphant, Anderson & Ferrier. Present Principals: Walter Gowanlock Anderson and Angus Ferrier. Branch: 29-37, St. Mary Street, Edinburgh, trading as Anderson & Ferrier (Bookbinders to the trade). Business: Publishers of Theological, Missionary, and Historical Works; also books for Young People, General Literature, and Healthy Fiction. British Offices of the Fleming H. Revell Co. of New York; Scottish Warehouse of the Cambridge Universi ty Press. Telephones: No. 683 Edinburgh; No. 1528 Central, London. Telegraphic Addresses: " Publishing, Edinburgh "; " Publiant, Cent, London."

OLIVE BROTHERS, Ltd., Paper Manufacturers, Woolf old, near Bury, Lancashire. Hours of Business: Usual. Established over 100 years ago. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1893. Directors: J. K. Butcher, J.P. (Chairman), Jas. Byrom, J.P., Wm. Holt, Dr. G. A. Jelly, and John W. Holt. Premises: Very extensive, fitted with modern appliances. Staff: About 300. Specialities: Printings, Cream Laids, and F. G. Blacks, &c. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 80 Bury; No. 1898 City, Manchester. Telegraphic Address: " Olive, Bury." Bankers: Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, Ltd.

OLIVER & BOYD, Publishers, Tweeddale Court, 14, High Street, Edinburgh, and 33, Paternoster Row, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.; Saturdays, close at 1 p.m. Established in 1808 by Mr. Oliver. Premises: The building was originally the Town House of the Marquis of Tweeddale. Specialities: Educational and Scientific Publishers. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 688 Central, Edinburgh. Telegraphic Address: " Almanac, Edinburgh."

OLIVIER & CO., Straw Goods and Panama;, China, Silk, and General Import and Export Merchants, 13-14, Australian Avenue, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1847. Claim to be the largest Strawgoods Merchants in tho world. Premises: Head Office, Paris, 9, Rue d'Argout. Branches: New York, 600-602, Broadway; Florence, 6, Via Ponte Alle Mosse; also at Shanghai, Hankow, Tientsin, and Batavia. Speciality: Finest quality Strawgoods and Hats from Italy, Switzerland, China, Java, South America, and Silk from China. Also General Produce Importers from China, Java, West Africa; General Goods Exporters, &c. Connection: World-wide. Telephone: No. 12661 Central. Telegraphic Address: " Armorique, London." Codes: A B C (5th Edition); Lieber's; Private.

OLLARD, WESTCOMBE & CO., Manufacturers of Saddlery Webs, Saddle Girths, Belts, Braces, Leather Goods, &c., 46, Great Charles Street, Birmingham. Hours of Business: 8.30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Established about 1855. Weaving Mills, Attleboro', Nuneaton; London Office, 3, Albion Buildings, Bartholomew Close, E.C. Staff: 120. Agencies: Canada, South Africa, Australia, the East. Specialities: Weaving Belt, Brace and Saddlery Webs, Saddle Girths, Braces, Belts, Leather Goods, &c. Connection: Extensive Foreign and Colonial Export trade. Trade Mark: " Cameo." Telephone: No. 682 Central, Birmingham. Telegraphic Address: " 01lard, Birmingham." Code: A B C (5th Edition). Bankers: National Provincial Bank of England, Ltd.

OLLIVANT & BOTSFORD, Jewellers, Silversmiths, Watchmakers and Diamond Merchants, 12 and 14, St. Ann Street, and 3, Police Street, Manchester. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established prior to 1772. Present Principal: James W. Botsford. Business: Jewellery, Silversmiths, Watchmaking, Diamond Merchants. Connection: United Kingdom, Colonial, Foreign. Telephone: No. 3115 Central, Manchester. Telegraphic Address: " Botford, Manchester.

OLNEY, AMSDEN & SONS, Ltd., Wholesale Haberdashers, Buttons, Trimmings, Foreign and Fancy Warehousemen, and Manufacturers, 9, 10, and 11, Falcon Street, and 5, 6, and 7, Falcon Avenue, London, E.C. Also sole proprietors of the " Crescent " Manufacturing Co., Crescent Mills, Redditch, and 25, Fann Street, E.C., and The Crescent Press, 27, Fann Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Established about 1830 as Olney & Sons. Continued by Henry Potter Olney, Thomas Harding Olney, and Frederick William Amsden, 1861, joined by F. W. Amsden (junior) in 1875. Ernest Amsden and Walter Amsden admitted as partners in 1882. Stanley T. Amsden, Frank Amsden, and Henry Thomas Olney, in 1894. Incorporated as a private Limited Company in 1904. Directors: F. W. Amsden (Governing Director), S. T. Amsden, Frank Amsden, F. H. Amsden, and E. B. Amsden (Permanent Directors), and S. T. Amsden (Secretary). One of the largest businesses of the kind. Premises: Warehouses 9, 10, and 11, Falcon Street, and 5, 6, and 7, Falcon Avenue, London, E.C. The " Crescent " Needle Mills, and The " Crescent " Manufacturing Co., and Printing Works are branch businesses. Electric Printing Works at 25 and 27, Fann Street, E.C. Staff: Large. Staff Club: The " Oasis " Swimming and Athletic Association. Specialities: All kinds of Haberdashery and Smallware Novelties, Buttons, Trimmings, Lace and Fancy Goods, &c. Hold very large and up-to-date stocks. Widely known at home and abroad for their goods. Proprietors of many patents, designs, and registrations for improvements in Smallwares, &c. Also manufacturers of needles, and pins, &c. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, and Colonial. Telephones: Nos. 6454 and 6455 London Wall, London. Telegraphic Address: " Amsden, London."

OPPENHEIMER, A., & CO., Merchants and General Exporters, 38, Finsbury Square, London, E.C., and 95, 96, Alexandrinen Strasse, Berlin. Established in 1857 by the late Charles Oppenheimer (subsequently Sir Charles Oppenheimer, H.B.M. Consul-General, Frankfort-on-Main); joined by the late D. Oppenheimer, 1858. Present Principals: Louis Adler, Adolphe Oppenheimer, James Adler, Felix Klugmann. Branch: Berlin. Representatives and Agents in South Africa, Australia, Canada, and other Colonies. Specialities: Pipes of all kinds and Smokers' Requisites; Indigo-blue Prints; Cotton Blankets, Felt Hats, &c. Factories in Paris and St. Claude. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 5625 London Wall (three lines), Telegraphic Address: " Openheimor, London." Bankers: London County and Westminster Bank, Ltd.

OPPENHEIMER, G., & NEVEU, Wholesale Silk Importers and Exporters of French and Foreign Goods, 27 and 28, Milk Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Established in 1871 by G. Oppenheimer; title of firm, Bacharach, Oppenheimer & Co.; in 1883, G. Oppenheimer. Present Principals: G. Oppenheimer and A. Picard, since 1897. Premises: Paris House, 28, Rue Bergere; Lyons, 19, Rue Royale. Staff: Total, fifty. Specialities: Chinese, Japanese, and Indian Silk Piece Goods; also French Silks and Ladies' Fancy Articles. Export: All articles. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 8304 Bank. Telegraphic Address: " Echizen, London." Code: A B C (5th Edition). Bankers: London City and Midland Bank, Ltd. (Queen Victoria Street); Societe Generale (Paris).

OPPENHEIMER, SON & CO., Ltd., Manufacturing Chemists, 179, Queen Victoria Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1891. Managing Directors: A. Wilson Ball and T. 0. Kent. Premises: Chief Offices in Queen Victoria Street, E.C. Works: Handforth Works, Kennington, S.E.; and Export Ware. house: Broadway, E.C. Specialities: Claim to be the inventors of Palatinoids, Bipalatinoids, Pulverettes and other portable and reliable Medicines and of the system of Standardising Drugs as regards uniformity of their active principles. Awards: Many Grands Prix and Gold Medals at the principal exhibitions in Europe, India, &c. Connection: World-wide Telephones: No. 13492 Central; No. 5899 Holborn, London. Telegraphic Address: " Bipalatinoid, London." Cable Address: " Operator, London." Bankers: Union of London and Smiths Bank, Ltd.

" OPTIMUS COFFEE EXTRACT.—See CLARK'S " OPTIMUS COFFEE EXTRACT, Ltd.,

ORD, B. T., Printer, Publisher, &c., The Hartlepools Printing and Stationery Works, Middlegate, Hartlepool, and Tower Street, West Hartlepool. Hours of Business: 8.30 a.m. to 7.30 p.m.; Wednesdays, close at 1 p.m. Established in 1840 by B. T. Ord. Present Principal: B. T. Ord. The original proprietor was Editor and Publisher of the first Newspaper in Hartlepool, and Publisher of Ord's Almanack for fifty years. Patentee of the " S. S. " Automatic Carbon Manifold Books. Premises: Cover 2661 square feet. Business: General Printing, Publishing and Stationery Manufacturing and Bindery, Corporation and Colliery Work, Church Registers, Licensed Agent by Board of Trade for Mercantile Marine Forms and Books. Connection: United Kingdom, Italy, Canada, and South Africa.. Telephones: No. 6036 Hartlepool; No. 315 West Hartlepool. Telegraphic Address: " Ord, Printer," Hartlepool and West Hartlepool. Code: Scott's. Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited. Mr. Ord is a member of the Cleveland Guild of Printers.

O'REILLY, P., Ltd., Cardboard Box Manufacturers, Lithographic and Letterpress Printers. Head Office: 32-33, Poolbeg Street, Dublin; and at Hamilton Row, Dublin, and Mayfair Building, Belfast. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1850 by Patrick O'Reilly (d.). Incorporated as a Private Limited Company in 1907. Managing Director: John O'Reilly. Staff: 300. Speci alities: Cardboard Boxes of every description. Make a special feature of Canadian Egg Fillers. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign and Colonial. Contractors to H.M. Government. Telephones: No. 1169 Dublin; No. 1692 Belfast. Telegraphic Address: " Boxes, Dublin." Bankers: Provincial Bank of Ireland, Ltd.

ORENSTEIN & KOPPEL—ARTHUR KOPPEL (Amalgamated), Railway Engineers and Manufacturers, 27, Clement's Lane, Lombard Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. London Branch of Orenstein & Koppel—Arthur Koppel A.G., Berlin. Chairman: Cornmercienrat Benno Orenstein. Paid-up Capital: £1,800,000. London Manager: F. R. Leistikow. Stall: Office, 2,300; Workmen, 6,200. Number of Works: Twelve. The firm has Branches in every civilised country. Business: Narrow Gauge Railway Experts; Manufacturers of Railway Material, Works Tramways, Switches, Turntables, Wheels and Axles, Axle Boxes, Patent Roller Bearings, Tipping Wagons, Mining Wagons, Brick Cars, Platform Wagons, Contractors' Wagons, Special Wagons, to suit all requirements; also Narrow Gauge and Main Line Locos, Electric Locos, Overhead Equipment, Crane Skips, Suspended Railways, Haulage Plants, Concrete Mixers, Dredgers, Excavators, and Navvies, &c. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 5724 Avenue; No. 9953 London Wall. Telegraphic Address: " Alighting, London." Bankers: Deutsche Bank and Dresdner Bank.

ORGAN BROTHERS, Ltd., Flock Manufacturers, and Saddlers' Warehousemen, Beam Mills, Wrington. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1805 by Reuben Organ, grandfather of the present Managing Directors. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1910. Managing Directors: Albert Thomson Organ and Walter George Organ. Specialities: Flocks and Millpuffs for the Saddlery and Upholstery Trades; also Horse Collars (Wholesale only). Sole Manufacturers of the Patent Lip Collar. Telephone: No. 4 Wrington. Telegraphic Address: " Organ, Wrington."

ORIENTAL CARPET MANUFACTURERS, Ltd. (THE), Head House, Smyrna; London Branch, 4A, Newgate Street, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. (London). Established in 1908 as an amalgamation of six firms and since joined by others. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Chairman: Sydney La Fontaine. General Manager: Albert Aliotti (Smyrna). London Managers: James Baker and H. Percy Pulman. Capital: £1,000,000. Branches t Paris, New York, Constantinople, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Toronto, Berlin, Vienna. Agencies 1 Throughout Turkey, Persia, India and the Caucasus. Business Manufacturers and Dealers (Wholesale) of all kinds of Oriental Carpets. Connection: World-wide. Telephone: No. 6940 City, London (two lines). Telegraphic Address: " Teziak," Smyrna and Branches. Codes: A B C (5th Edition); Lieber. London Bankers: London County and Westminster Bank, Ltd. (St. Paul's).

ORIENTAL TUBE CO., Ltd. (THE), Tube Manufacturers, Church Lane, West Bromwich. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1881. Premises: Extensive works covering six acres. Highly equipped. Specialities: Tubes for Bedsteads, Cycles, and Boilers. Conduits for Electric Wiring. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign. Telephone: No. 45 West Bromwich. Telegraphic Address: " Tubes, West Bromwich."

ORIENTAL WATERPROOF SYNDICATE, Ltd. (THE), Rotproofers and Waterproofers, Berkshire Road, Hackney Wick, London, N.E. Hours of Business: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1887. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Specialities: Rotproofing and Waterproofing Canvas for the trade. Telephone: No. 882 East, London. Telegraphic Address: " Beforehand, London."

ORME, EVANS & CO., Ltd. (with whom are incorporated Henry Fearncombe & Co., Ltd., established 1801, and John Marston, established 1790), Enamelled Holloware, Tin, and Japanned Wares, Art Metal Workers, Radiators and Motor Parts. Factories: Elgin Works and Phcenix Works, Wolverhampton. London Offices and Showrooms: Bath House, 59, Holborn Viaduct, E.C. Established in 1864 by Thomas Orme and Alfred Orme; afterwards included Bernard Evans as Orme, Evans & Co. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1900. Directors: Alfred Orme (Chairman), H. B. Hall, H. A. Orme, V. Dubois, Samuel Glaze, F. T. Langley. Premises: Cover about two acres. Stall: About 800. Connection: United Kingdom. Colonial through Shippers. Contractors to H.M. Government (Admiralty, War Office, India Office); also to the Colonial Governments. Telephones: No. 228 (Head Office, Elgin Works); No. 303 (for Phoenix Works), Wolverhampton; No. 481 Holborn, London. Telegraphic Addresses: " Orme, Wolverhampton "; " Radiator, Wolverhampton." Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited (Wolverhampton).

ORME & SONS, Ltd., Billiard Table Builders. Head Office, Showrooms, and Works: The Parsonage, Manchester. Branches: Glasgow, Liverpool, Belfast, London. Established by Thomas Orme in 1845. Incorporated as a Company in 1894; with A. H. Colles (Managing Director) and his two sons, Edward Colles and Thomas Orme Colles (Directors). Specialities: High-class Billiard Tables and Accessories. Connection: Great Britain. Also ship to most parts of the world. Royal Warrant: Appointment to H.M. King George V., 1910; His late Majesty King Edward, 1901; His late Majesty when Prince of Wales, 1873. Telephones: No. 682 (for Manchester); No. 6086 Central (for London); No. 410 Post Office, Nat. 201x9 Royal (for Glasgow); No. 6546 (for Liverpool); No. 1772 (for Belfast). Telegraphic Addresses: " Billiards" (for Manchester, Glasgow, and Belfast); " Bonzo " (for London); " Cues " (for Liverpool).

ORMEROD, O. & W., Ltd., Tanners, Curriers, and Leather Belting Manufacturers, Railway Leather Works, Miall Street, Rochdale, Lancashire. Hours- of Business: 8.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Established in 1798, in Bell Street, Rochdale, by George Ormerod. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1903. Manufacturers of Strap Butts and various High-class Specialities in Leather Belting, Mechanical Leathers, &c. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 112. Telegraphic Address: Ormerods, Rochdale."

ORMISTON & GLASS, Ltd., Fancy Leather Goods Manufacturers, also Makers of Fountain Pens, The " Saracen's Head," Snow Hill, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1868 by Peter Ormiston and James Glass. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1902. Managing Director: James Glass. Premises: The " Saracen's Head " was made celebrated by Charles Dickens in " Nicholas Nickleby." Staff: 150 and Travellers. Business: Sole Agents for Ball Pointed Pens. Also Fancy Goods Manufacturers. Connection: World-wide. Telephone No. 1398 Central, London. Telegraphic Address: " Porteplume, London." Bankers: Royal Bank of Scotland, Ltd.

ORR, D. W., & CO., Fancy Leather Workers, Lindley, Huddersfield; and 29, Raul Road, Peckham, London, S.E. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1897 by D. W. Orr. Present Principals: D. W. Orr and Alexander Weir (joined 1907). Specialities: Dog Collars, Brushes, Clothing, Chains, Leads, Locks, Combs, Waist Belts in Leather and Webbing, Portsea Purses, Watch Guards, Rug Straps, Head Collars, Footballs, Ladies' Purses and Wrist Bags. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign and Colonial. Telephone: No. 1124 Huddersfield. Telegraphic and Cable Address: " Orr, Lindley, Hu4dersfield." Bankers: London City & Midland Bank, Ltd.

ORR, P., & SONS, Manufacturing Jewellers. Head Office: Madras. London Offices: 330, Moorgate Station Chambers, Moorfields, E.C. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.; Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Established in 1849. Staff: About 1,000 (varies). Branches: Calcutta and Rangoon. Business: Manufacturing • Jewellers, Gold and Silversmiths, Mathematical and Surveying Instrument Makers. Awards: Medals, Indian and Vienna Exhibition, Calcutta and Madras. Royal Warrants: Special Appointment to His Imperial Majesty King George, King-Emperor in India, 1911. Telegraphic Addresses: " Indiarsi, London "; " Orr, Madras." Codes: A B C and Premier. Bankers: National Bank of India (Madras, Calcutta, and Rangoon); London County and Westminster Bank, Ltd. (London).

ORR'S ZINC WHITE, LIMITED, Zinc White Manufacturers, Widnes, Lancs. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Incorporated as a Private Limited Colnpany. Managing Director: John B. Orr. Specialities: Zinc White and other Non-poisonous Paints. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 56 Widnes. Telegraphic Address: " Orr, Widnes." Bankers: Parr's Bank, Ltd.

ORRETT, WM. & A., Tailors and Breeches Makers, 15, Foregate Street, Chester. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.; Wednesdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Established in 1840 by William Orrett (d.). Present Principal: William Orrett (son). Specialities: Breeches, Pantaloons, Dress and Frock Suits. All work executed on the premises by first-class workmen. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 999 Chester. Bankers: London City and Midland Bank, Ltd., with which is incorporated the North and South Wales Bank.

ORROCK, R., & CO., Ltd., Glass Bottle Manufacturers, Creek's Mouth, Barking, Essex. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Established in 1840 by the late Robert Orrock. Incorporated as a Limited Company. Premises: Works cover about 30 acres. Staff: 200. Speciality: Pickle and Sauce Jars. Invention: Special large sized Gas Tanks. Connection: United. Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 30 Barking. Telegraphic Address: " Orrocks, Barking."

ORTON, H., & SON, Boot and Shoe Manufacturers, Earl Shilton, Hinckley, Leicestershire. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1891 by H. Orton (senior). Succeeded by (1) Orton and Ladkin; (2) Orton and Worthington; (3) H. Orton & Son. Present Principals: Harry Orton (senior), George Ernest Orton. Premises: Occupy over 35,000 feet of floor space. Specialities: Boys' Medium and Little Gent's Box Calf, Slugged, Billed and M.S. Connection .- Great Britain only. Telephone: No. 38 Earl Shilton. Telegraphic Address: " Orton, Earl Shilton." Bankers: London City & Midland Bank, Ltd. Mr. H. Orton is Chairman of the Parish Council for the second time. He is a Guardian of the Poor and a Rural District Councillor, Trustee and Past Chief Ranger in the Ancient Order of Foresters, local branch. Pastime r Bowling, whist and motoring.

OSBECK & CO., Ltd., Pit Timber Merchants, 4, St. Nicholas Buildings, Newcastle-on-Tyne; and Bank Buildings, St. Mary Street, Cardiff. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Established in 1862 by Peter Osbeck (d.). Continued by Axel. Fredrik Ericsson in 1884. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1912. Directors: Axel. F. Ericsson, J.P. (Managing Director), Robert Detchon and A. Ernest Belmont. Formed into a Limited Companyon the celebration of its Jubilee. Premises: Stocks kept at the chief ports in England and Wales. Speciality: Pit Timber. Connection: United Kingdom, Scandinavia, Russia, and Finland. Telephone: No. 1009 Central, Newcastle; No. 343 Cardiff. Telegraphic Address: " Osbecks," Newcastle-on-Tyne and Cardiff. Mr. Ericsson is a Justice of the Peace for the City and County of Newcastleon-Tyne.

OSBORN, CHAS., & CO., Anchovy Paste and Essence Manufacturers, 1, Spenser Road, Stoke Newington, London, N. Hours of Business: 8.30 a.m. to 7 p.m. Established in 1828 by John Osborn, succeeded by Charles Augustus Osborn, 1866-1909. Present Principals: Alfred Newton Osborn and George Osborn. One of the oldest houses in the trade. -Specialities: " Pate D'Anchois a la Francais° " (the original French Anchovy Paste), "Patum Peperium " (the Gentleman's Relish, a novelty in potted meats), and " Essence of Anchovies." Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Bankers: London and Provincial Bank, Ltd. (Kingsland Branch).

OSBORN (SAMUEL) & CO., LIMITED, Manufacturers of Steel, Steel Castings, Springs, Files, Saws, Hammers, Tools, Twist Drills, &c. Registered Offices: Clyde Steel Works, Sheffield. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established in 1852. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1905. Stag: Eighty; Workpeople, 1,000. Branch: Office, 32, Queen Victoria Street, London, E.C. Agencies: Boston (U. S. A. ), Sydney (N. S.W. ), Brussels, Johannesburg, Yokohama, Bombay, Calcutta, Copenhagen, Madrid, Lisbon, '&c. Representatives in Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Newcastle-on-Tyne, Glasgow, and elsewhere. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 4544 Central (six lines), Sheffield; No. 10010 Central, London. Telegraphic Addresses: " Osborn, Sheffield "; " Incorporate, Cannon, London."

OSBORNE, ALBERT, Lace Manufacturer, Victoria Mills, Draycott, near Derby. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1883 by Albert Osborne and Brother, as H. & A. Osborne & Co., in Nottingham. Trading in Nottingham as Osborne & Co. Present Principal: Albert Osborne. Claim that Victoria Mills is the largest Lace Factory in the world. Staff: Thirty. Specialities: Fine Calais Vals and Wide Cross Bands and Nets. Owner of a large number of registered designs. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign and Colonial: Telephone: No. 26 Draycott. Telegraphic Address: " Osborne, Draycott." Bankers: United Counties Bank, Ltd.

OSBORNE, BAUER & CHEESEMAN, Manufacturing Perfumers and Soap Refiners, 19, Golden Square, Regent Street, London, W. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 6.30 p.m. Established by Charles W. Osborne, Hugh Bauer, and Edward Cheeseman in 1863. Proprietor: Jas. Eldridge Holdsworth. Connection: All over the world. Telephone: No. 1080 Regent.

OSBORNE (CHARLES) & CO., Ltd., Gun Manufacturers, 12, 13, and 14; Whittall Street, Birmingham, and 10, York Buildings, Ade1phi, London, W.C. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1838 by Charles Osborne. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1898. Directors: Chas. Osborne Ellis (Chairman and Managing Director), Anthony Ellis. Specialities: Guns, Rifles, Revolvers, &c. Patents: Several. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 1541 Central, Birmingham; No. 5587 Gerrard, London. Telegraphic Addresses: " Osbornes, Birmingham "; " Pivotgun, London." Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited.

OSBORNE, GARRETT & CO., Hair Dressers' Sundriesmen, 51, 54, Frith Street, Soho, W., and 8 and 11, Bateman Street, London, W. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, close at 2 p.m. Established in 1877 in London and in 1836 in Birmingham. Present Principal: T. W. Garrett. Branch: 10 and 11, Temple Street, Birmingham. Specialities: Every article sold or used by the Hair Dresser. Telephones: No. 5975 Gerrard, London (two lines); No. 7128 Central, Birmingham. Telegraphic Addresses: " Kropp, London "; " Osga, Birmingham."

OSLER, F. & C., Ltd., Glass Manufacturers, and Manufacturers of all kinds of Electric Fittings, Broad Street, Birmingham; 100, Oxford Street, London, W.; Old Court House Street, Calcutta; Kashmir Gate, Delhi; Hornby Road, Bombay, India; Mount Road, Madras. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Established in 1807 by Thomas Osier. Registered as a Private Limited Company in July, 1906. Directors: John T. Osler (Chairman), Aubrey O. Dowson, and Julian A. Osler. Specialities: Tho Manufacture of Glass and of all kinds of Electric Fittings. Connection: World - wide. Royal Warrant Holders to His late Majesty King Edward VII. and to His Majesty the King of Italy. Telephones: No. 1477 Gerrard, for London; No. Mid. 2077 Birmingham. Telegraphic Addresses: " Osier," London, Birmingham; " Oslerco," Calcutta, Delhi, Bombay, Madras.

OTIS ELEVATOR CO., Ltd., Specialists in Elevators (or Lifts) and Hoisting Machinery, • 4, Queen Victoria Street, London, E. C. Established in 1893, when the business, goodwill, and patents for Europe and the British Colonies (except Canada) were acquired from the " Otis Elevator Co." Branches or agencies have since been established in all the large towns of Europe and in the Colonies. Specialities: Passenger Elevators, Warehouse Lifts, and Hoisting Machinery. Telephones: No. 710 Bank, and No. 5196 Central. Telegraphic and Cable Address: "Lydentree, London."

OUTRAM (HENRY) & SON, Steel and File Manufacturers, Canal Works, Cadman Street, Sheffield. Hours of Business: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1862 by the late Henry Outram. Present Principal: John D. Outram (son). Staff Clubs: Fishing and Holiday, Sick and Dividing. Business: Manufacture of Steel and Files. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 1396 National, Sheffield.

OVERTON (WILLIAM), Ltd., Fancy Leather Goods, Saddlery and Harnessmakers, Argent Works, Walsall. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established in 1869 by William Overton; joined by Grosvenor Overton. Incorporated as a private Limited Company for family purposes in 1898. Managing Director and Secretary: Grosvenor Overton. Premises: Cover about 1300 square yards. Staff: About 150. Branches: London, Manchester and Milan. Specialities: Leather Goods of Real Seal, Calf, Morocco, Crocodile, &c.; also Saddlery. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 85 (National), Walsall. Telegraphic Address: " Argent, Walsall." Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited.

OWBRIDGE, W. T., LIMITED, Makers of Lung Tonic, The Laboratory, Hull. Hours of Business: 9.30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1874 by W. T. Owbridge (d.). Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1903. Speciality: Lung Tonic. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial.

OWEN & CO., Writing Slate Manufacturers, Newborough Slate Mills, Blaenau Festiniog, North Wales. Hours of Business: 7 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established in 1890 by Owen & Co. Managing Partner: David Jones. Speciality: Writing Slates of different brands and best quality. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telegraphic Address: " Vola, Blaenau Festiniog."

OWEN & DYSON, Ltd., Manufacturers of Railway Wheels and Axles of all Types for Carriages and Wagons, Rother Iron Works, Rotherham. London Office: 36, Victoria Street, Westminster, S.W. Hours of Business: Usual. Established in 1873 by George Dyson Owen (d.) and Robert Dyson. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1909. Directors: Robert Dyson, M. I. M. E. , J. P. , William Dyson, J.P. Specialities: Hydraulic-pressed Wheels and Teak-centred Wheels for Railway Carriages, &c. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 24 Rotherham; No. 213 Victoria (London). Telegraphic Addresses: " Press, Rotherham "; "Drill, London." Bankers: Union of London and Smiths Bank, Ltd. (Sheffield).

OWEN (EDWARD) & CO., Export Merchants, Dashwood House, 9, New Broad Street, London, E.C.; 21, Ludgate Hill, Birmingham, and 97, Edward Street, Sheffield. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Established in 1820 by Henry Van Wart of New York. Continued by Van Wart, Son & Co. until 1877, when the present firm of Edward Owen & Co. was founded by Edward Owen (senior partner in Van Wart, Son & Co. at the dissolution of partnership in 1877). Present Principals: Wilfred Owen and W. T. Brooks. Business: Export Merchants. Connection: Foreign and Colonial (United States and Canada chiefly). Telephone: No. 701 London Wall, London. Telegraphic and Cable Addresses: "Edokolon, Ave, London "; " Owen, Birmingham." Codes: Lieber's, A 1, and A B C. Bankers: Lloyds Bank Limited.

OWEN OWEN, Ltd., General Drapers, Furnishing Warehousemen, &c., London Road; Audley Street; Stafford Street; Shaw Street; and Kempston Street, Liverpool. Established in 1868 by Owen Owen. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1899 with about 1,000 shareholders. Directors: Robert O. Davies, J.P. (Chairman), George T. Lenton, Chas. Underwood, Norman P. Greig, and Edward J. Allen (Managing Director). Secretary: Chas. Underwood. Stall: About 1000. Business: General Drapers, Silk Mercers, Dealers in Fancy Goods, Scents, Patent Medicines, Boots and Shoos, &c.; also Furniture of all descriptions. Telephone: No. 1080 Royal (Liverpool). Telegraphic AddmB " Silks, Liverpool." , Bankers: London City and Midland Bank, Ltd. (East Branch, London Road, Liverpool).

OWEN (THOMAS) & CO., Ltd., Paper and Pulp Manufacturers; Registered Offices, Ely Paper Works, Cardiff; London Office, 179, Queen Victoria Street, E.C. Established in 1877 by Messrs.. Evans and Owen; afterwards acquired by the late Thomas Owen, M.P. Incorporated as a Limited Company in 1892. Directors Charles Todd Owen (Chairman, G. A. Denny, Owen Owen, George D. Perks, T. Armstead. Secretary: Ernest Newton Tribe. Premises: Works at Cardiff cover about twenty-five acres, including land and building; also extensive works at Hjerpen, Jemtland, Sweden, covering about thirty acres; equipped with modern machinery and every up-todate appliance. Own 220 miles of freehold forest land in Sweden. Staff: 500, Cardiff; About 200 in Sweden. Specialities: Manufacture of Newspaper, Printings, Envelope Papers, Notepaper, Casings, Sealings, Banks, Blottings, Supercalendered Papers, &c. Cardiff Works turn out 450 to 500 tons of paper per week. Swedish Factory has an output of 300 tons of pulp per week. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: No. 3380 Central, London; No. 3817 (two lines) Cardiff. Telegraphic Addresses: " Attrite, Cent, London "; " Paper, Cardiff." Codes: McNeil's; Watkins'; A B C. Bankers Lloyds Bank Limited.

OWEN (WILLIAM), Ltd., General Drapers, Westbourne Grove and Hatherley Grove, London, W. Hours of Business: 8.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.; Saturdays, 8.30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established in 1873 by William Owen. Incorporated in 1903; Chairman, William Owen. Premises: Over 80,000 square feet of floor space. Staff: About 600. Specialities: Silks, Laces, Gloves; also a large selection of general and fashionable Drapery Goods for high-class trade. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephone: No. 3600 Park (Private Branch Exchange to all Depts.). Telegrams: " Owen, Westbourne Grove, London."

OWTRAM (ROBERT) & CO., Ltd., Warehousemen, 13, Watling Street, and 16, 17, 18, and 19, Friday Street, London, E.C. Hours of Business: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established by Robert Owtram in 1828. Incorporated as a Limited Liability Company in 1886. Directors: Thos. Law (Managing Director and Chairman), A. Bird, G. Deane, and H. H. Walduck. Specialities: Best Manchester, Scotch, and Foreign Goods. Connection: World -wide. Telegraphic Address: " Martwo, London."

OXFORD UNIVERSITY PRESS (THE), THE CLARENDON PRESS (Horace Hart, M.A., Controller, Printer to the University since 1883), Walton Street, Oxford; Publisher to the University, appointed 1913, Humphrey Milford, M.A. The Publishing business at Amen Corner, London, E.C.; also at 12, Frederick Street, Edinburgh; 104, West George Street, Glasgow; 29-35, Wost 32nd Street, New York; 25-27, Richmond Street West, Toronto; Cathedral Build ings, Flinders Lane, Melbourne; Eru chshaw Building, Hornby Road, Bombay. Hours of Business: (Oxford) 8 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.; Saturdays, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.; (London) 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturdays, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Established about 1468, the date borne by the first book printed at Oxford. This, however, should probably be 1478. The Oxford University Press, which has been authorised from time to time by ancient Royal Charters, has developed into a very large and important aggregation of businesses, embracing paper manufacture, type-founding, ink manufacture, bookbinding, &c., in addition to printing and all processes allied thereto. It is governed by Delegates, eleven in number, comprising the ViceChancellor and other members. Secretary: Charles Cannan, M.A. Premises: Extensive Printing Works at Oxford; Paper Mills at Wolvercote, where the famous India Paper of the Oxford University Press is manufactured, besides other papers required in the business (Joseph Castle, Controller); Publishing Houses in New York, Toronto, and Bombay, and Branch Depots at Edinburgh, Glasgow, and Melbourne. Bookbinding Works in Aldersgate Street, London, E.C. Business: The printing and publication of Bibles and Prayer Books, and of Learned, Educational, Standard, and Devotional Works generally. All pro cesses connected with the printing and production of such publications are carried out in the Works and by the staff of the Oxford University Press. Very many important, and in some instances unique, editions of great authors have been issued from the Press. Its magnum opus is, of course, " The New English Dictionary on Historical Principles," edited by Dr. (now Sir James) Murray, commenced in 1882, and estimated to include 250,000 words when completed. The various publications of the Clarendon Press are known in every quarter of the globe. Telephones: (Oxford), No. 565; (London), No. 260 t City (three lines). Telegraphic Addresses: " Controller," Oxford; " Frowde," London, Edinburgh, Glasgow, New York, Toronto.

See Also

Loading...

Sources of Information