Grace's Guide is the leading source of historical information on industry and manufacturing in Britain. This web publication contains 133,384 pages of information and 211,458 images on early companies, their products and the people who designed and built them.
1907 May 28th. There were 25 entrants for the first race around the 15-mile 1430-yard St John's Course. The length of the race was 158 miles. Freddie Straight drew up the first set of regulations.
The great Tourist Trophy meeting in the Isle of man was opened to-day with the international auto-cycle event, which was divided into two classes - one for single cylinder and the other for twin-machines. Nineteen competitors entered the single-cylinder class, which was for the trophy presented by the Mercado de Mouzilly St. Mars, and in the twin-cylinder class for Dr. Hele Shaw's trophy there were eight entreats The start and finish took place at St. John's, where is situated the famous Tynwald Hill, and the course went to Kirkmichael, thence over the coast reed to Peel, then across to Bellacraine and back to St. John's. By this route the cycles took the well-known Devil's Elbow corner in the opposite and easier direction to that which the cars will take on Thursday. The going included several stiff gradients, the steepest being a stretch of 1,197 yards with an average gradient of 1 in 14.7. Other steep stretches were 610 yards of 1 in 15.5, and a quarter of a mile of l in 16.1. The course had to be covered ten times, making the full distance 158 miles one furlong.
Single Cylinder Race
Twin Cylinder Race