NOTE: This page is scanned from the original and may contain some errors due to that process
Middleton with Brookbottom, Micklehurst and Tonge (p135)
BLEACHERS, DYERS, FINISHERS, etc
- Obadiah Ashworth and Co. (bleachers, finishers, embossers, &c.), Rhodes Bleach and Dye Works, Middleton; and East India Finishing Works, Medlock bridge, Sackville street, Manchester; Manchester warehouse-37, Lever street.
- Cocker and Co, Marsh Street Silk Finishing Works, Tonge; Manchester office-10, Gore street, Piccadilly.
- Dickins and Co. (dyers, cotton polishers and bleachers), Spring Vale and Springwood Works. Telegrams, "Dickins, Middleton."
- John Gorton, -Exors. of- (dyers and polishers of cotton yarns), Lark Hill Works, Middleton; Manchester office-12, Brazennose street.
- Irkdale Bleach Works Co., Limited, Irk Dale Works; Manchester office-74, Faulkner st. Pay days- Middleton, first Saturday, 11-30 to 12; Manchester, first Tuesday, 2-30 to 3.
- Kay and Smith (bleachers and finishers), Lands End Works, Rhodes.
- Samuel Lawton and Sons, (general finishers and embossers), Cross Street Works; Manchester office-2, Stevenson square. Pay day second Tuesday, 2-30 to 3.
- Salis Schwabe and Co.(and bleachers, dyers and finishers), Rhodes Works ; Manchester office-41, George street. Pay day last Friday.
COTTON SPINNERS AND MANUFACTURERS
- Albany Spinning Co, Limited, Albany Mill; 63,900 spindles, 308/408 twist, 408 608 weft. Pay day, Thursday after last Wednesday, by cheque. Telegrams, "Albany, Middleton." Samuel Smethurst, manager; Robert Partington, secretary.
- Irk Mill Co, Limited; 35,000 spindles, 548/608 weft. Pay day third Wednesday. Alfred Barlow, manager; William Schofield, secretary.
- Middleton and Tonge Cotton Mill Co, Limited, Dane Mills; 186,628 spindles, 328/50, twist,321/608 weft. Pay day second Wednesday. Telegrams, "Dane, Middleton." Alfred Shaw, manager of Nos. 1, 2 and 3 mills; Michael Neville, manager of No. 4 mill; Benjamin Simpson, secretary and salesman.
- Wilton Manufacturing Co, Townley street; 600 looms, plain calicoes, twills, stripes, dobbies, jacquards, &c. Pay day Friday. J. H. Stott, manager ; J. Ashworth, secretary
- Robert Hilton, (dress silks, umbrella silks, and hatters' trimmings), Glebe street, Woodside.
Sources of Information