- Walter Whitworth, Medlock Vale Works, near Ashton-under-Lyne. Pay day first Friday. Telegrams, "Whitworth, Droylsden".
COTTON SPINNERS AND MANUFACTURERS
- Jonathan Andrew and Sons, Limited, Duncan Street Mills; 60,000 spindles, 68/408 twist, 40/60° weft. Pay day first Wednesday,10 to 12. Telegrams,"Andrew, Limited, Ashton". Telephone No. 19. William Henry Saxon, secretary.
- Abel Buckley and Co, Ryecroft Mills; 59,000 spindles, 208/408 twist, 308/5 ft; 357 looms; Manchester warehouse-31, Faulkner street. Pay day first Wed, 10 to 12-30. Telegrams, "Buckley, Ashton-under-Lyne" Telephone No., 30.
- Cavendish Spinning Co, Limited, Cavendish street; 72,000 spindles, 328/408 twist, 168/468 weft. Royal Exchange daily,1 to 1-30; No.,10 Pillar. D. G. Isherwood, manager; Geo. Wm. Sidebottom, sec.
- James Cooper (doubler), Bridge End Mills; 10,000 spindles, 203/1208 two fold and threefold plain and gassed yarns. Pay day first Wed, 10 to 12-30.
- James Dyson, Good Hope Mill, Bentinck st; 28,000 spindles,40'/50' weft. Pay day second Wed; accounts to be delivered on or before the 25th.
- Fisher and Jackson (doublers and commission reelers), Lees Street Mills, Turner lane; 15,000 spindles, 308/1208 twist. Pay day second Wednesday, 10 to 12. Telegrams, " Fisher, Ashton".
- John H. Gartside and Co., Limited, Wellington Mills; 76,128 spindles, 328 twist, 308/608 weft; 2,004 looms; and at Albion Mill, Hollingworth; and Pin Mill, Ardwick. Manchester warehouse 56, Fountain street. Pay day first Wednesday, at Wellington Mills, Ashton. Telegrams, "Gartsides, Ashton-under-Lyne".
- Guide Bridge Spinning Co., Limited, Guide Bridge; 150,240 spindles, 308/408 twist, 408/608 weft. Pay day second Wednesday, by remittance. Telegrams to Hooley Hill, Ashton. Telephone No., 8. Samuel Henry Emmett, secretary.
- Harper Twist Co, Limited, Mossley road; 40,968 spindles, 288/368 twist, 341/448 weft. Pay day second Wednesday. George Hy. Shaw, secretary and salesman.
- Samuel Heginbottom and Sons, Junction Mills; 48,000 spindles, 32, twist, 40, weft; 1,126 looms, fancy jacquards, satteens, drilletts, velvets, &c; Manchester warehouse- 15, York street. Pay day first Wednesday, by remittance. Telegrams- "Junction Mills, Ashton"; "Heginbottom, 15, York street, Manchester" Telephone Nos.-Ashton, 22; Manchester, 576.
- James Knott, Grosvenor Mill, Grosvenor street; 30,000 spindles,168/508 twist. Pay day first Wednesday, 10 to 12. Telegrams, "Grosvenor, Ashton-under-Lyne." Telephone No., 20.
- Thomas Mellor and Sons, Limited, Gas Street Mills and Whitelands Weaving Shed; 58,000 spindles, 308/468 twist and weft; 755 looms, twills, brocades, damasks, satteens, &c. Pay day first Wednesday, 10 to 12. Telegrams, "Mellor's, Limited, Ashton-under-Lyne." Telephone Nos. Gas Street Mills, 34; Whitelands Weaving Shed, 34A. Charles Pollard, manager; Edward Wilson, secretary.
- Portland Street Mills Co, Limited, Portland street; 48,000 spindles, 408 twist, 4011/508 weft. Pay day second Wednesday, by remittance. Telephone No., 35. H. E. Williams, secretary.
- J. B. Reyner and Brothers, Albion Mills, Lower Wharfe street, and Cavendish street; 147,000 spindles, 208/608; 1,300 looms, plain twills, fancys, jacquards, drills and Bobbies; Manchester warehouse-Booth street. Pay day first Wednesday, 9 to 12-30.
- Thomas Reyner and Sons, Cockbrook Mill, Stalybridge road; 31,000 spindles, 168/508 twist; Manchester warehouse-24, Booth street. Pay day first Wednesday. Telegrams, "Reyners, Ashton".
- S. H. Swire and Co, Limited (and warp makers), Higher Bank and Lower Bank Mills; 41,052 spindles, 328/50, twist. Pay day, first Wednesday, by remittance. Telegrams, " Cygnet, Ashton-under-Lyne". C. H. Cooper, secretary.
- Whitelands Twist Co, Ltd, Whitelands road; 128,934 spindles, 32, twist, 508 weft. Pay day first Wednesday, 10 to 12-30. Thomas Heywood, secretary.
Bardsley. 2 miles N.W. from Ashton-under-Lyne (p51)
Hurst. 1 mile N. E. from Ashton-under-Lyne (p51)
COTTON SPINNERS AND MANUFACTURERS
- Hurst Mills Co. Limited; 128,666 spindles, 2,100 looms. Pay day first Wednesday, by remittance. Telephone Nos.-Manchester, 404A; Ashton, 15A. Joseph Pleasants, secretary.
Sources of Information
Directory 1891 Worrall's Cotton Spinners
Note: This information was scanned and therefore there may be errors due to that process.