1862 London Exhibition: Catalogue: Class VIII.: Whitmore and Sons
From Graces Guide
2023. WHITMORE and SONS, Wickham Market, Suffolk
Improved steam engine; corn-mill machinery; engine details; framed drawings.
1. IMPROVED INDEPENDENT IRON HURST and fittings for 2 pairs of stones.
The novelty and improvement, consist in the arrangement provided for driving the stones by belt in lieu of gearing, and also for the continuous discharge of the meal around the entire peripheries of the stones, into galvanized metal or wood reservoirs within iron cylinders, on which also the bed stones are supported and easily made to adjust. This is found to produce coolness of, and less injury to the meal; entirely prevents the unpleasantness and waste through stive, renders exhausting apparatus almost unnecessary, and admirably facilitates the process of good milling. The fittings for neck and step bearings of stone, spindles, centre irons, feeding, adjusting, and disengaging gear, are all of the most approved construction; the main features being simplicity and durability.
2. IMPROVED CONVEYING AND ELEVATING MACHINERY for meal and corn.
3. IMPROVED AND NEWLY-INVENTED DIRECT-ACTING HIGH-PRESSURE STEAM ENGINE of 10-horse power, with vertical crank shaft and horizontal fly wheel; the latter being situate within the bed plate of the engine.
This engine is particularly compact and simple, and well adapted for driving the foregoing machinery in mills on a small scale. The crank shaft is of solid forged iron with steel end revolving in steel step, and the governor, starting apparatus, etc. are all on an improved principle. The construction of the engine is such, that the usual friction is considerably reduced; it is easily accessible in all its parts; and requires little or no fixing.
4. MODEL OF IMPROVED INDEPENDENT STEAM BOILER OR GENERATOR, with 2 internal flues, and so constructed as to allow for the unequal contraction and expansion usually experienced in the Cornish boiler, and also for the easy detachment of the same for the effectual removal of incrustation or deposit, or repairs when occasion requires it.
It is encased in a jacket of sheet plate (which may be lagged and felted), with smoke box, door fittings, and funnel, complete; rendering the fixing in brickwork unnecessary, and providing at the same time an unusual amount of heating surface all round the boiler; thus ensuring safety, purity of steam, and economy of fuel.
5. MODEL OF IMPROVED MACHINE for dressing flour through silks, with cylindrical shaft, trussed reel, vibrators, feeding apparatus and conveyors, complete.
6. MODEL OF IMPROVED IRON BREAST WATER WHEEL with ventilated curvilinear buckets and supply valve, and apparatus complete.
7. MODEL OF TOWER WINDMILL with patent sails and self-winding tackle.
Whitmore and Sons have fitted up a considerable amount of the above improved corn-mill machinery in establishments on a large scale in this and foreign countries, the arrangements differing according to circumstances, particulars and testimonials of which will he w'ven on application either at their Works, or at the Exhibition stand, where drawings may be seen of them; and of both single and double cylinder high and low pressure and condensing steam engines, boilers with patent furnaces, general mill, sawing, and agricultural machinery of their manufacture.