Willans and Robinson
Willans & Robinson of Thames Ditton and Rugby.
1888 Took limited status with £200,000 capital. Described as mechanical and electrical engineers, boilermakers, iron and steel founders, launch and ship builders. 
1888 H. Farmer, Thames Ditton was the Secretary. 
1894 Bristol Electric Light Station with Siemens Brothers. Illustration.  The company was registered on 8 March, to take over the business of engine builders of the private limited company of the same name. 
1895 Three engines for electricity generation for the Herrison Mental Hospital, Charminster.
1897 Moved to Willans Works, Rugby.
1900 Engine displayed at Paris Exhibition. Normal rating 2400 HP at 200 rpm, 3000 HP maximum.
1902 Engine for electricity generation for Avonbank power station.
1902 Made engines for the Duryea car
1904 Engine for electricity generation for the Herrison Mental Hospital, Charminster.
1904 Started production of high-power diesel engines 
1911 335 bhp Diesel engine. 
1914 Installed several large steam turbines for various municipal corporations; increased orders for diesel engines; licenced the Muller-Jones condensing plant
1916 Part of Dick, Kerr and Co
1919 They became part of the English Electric Co.
1968 English Electric became part of GEC, initially trading as English Electric-AEI.
2014 Willans Works, Rugby, continues to undertake land and marine turbine work as part of ALSTOM Power.
Sources of Information
- The Steam Engine in Industry by George Watkins in two volumes. Moorland Publishing. 1978. ISBN 0-903485-65-6
- AA.  Image courtesy of Aviation Ancestry
- The Engineer of 27th January 1888 p69
- The Engineer 1888/12/28
- The Engineer of 24th August 1894 p169 & p172
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- Engineering 27th April 1900
- 'The Engineer' 7th Sept 1900
- A-Z of British Stationary Engines by Patrick Knight. Published 1999. ISBN 1 873098 50 2
- >The Engineer 1907/06/07
- The Engineer of 20th October 1911 p430
- The Times, Jan 28, 1914