Walter Dixon (1861-1926) of Walter Dixon and Co
1926 Obituary 
WALTER DIXON was born in Hull in 1861, and was educated in that city.
His engineering career was commenced with Messrs. Amos and Smith, Ltd., Engineers, Hull, with whom he remained for about ten years.
He then joined Messrs. Richard Hornsby and Sons, Ltd., Grantham, for whom he supervised some important contracts.
He afterwards founded the firm of Walter Dixon and Co. in Glasgow and carried out many important iron and steel works electrification contracts, being a pioneer in the introduction of three-phase alternating current in this connexion.
He was also connected, at this stage, with the late Mr. James Riley in the early development of the gas-engine for iron and steel works.
In 1903 he gave up his contracting practice in favour of consulting work, and for a period of over twenty years was associated with the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron and Coal Co.,. Ltd., for whom he carried out a complete electrification scheme which involved several large power stations with a total output of over 30,000 kilowatts. He was also responsible for the first complete dock electrification in this country, at Glasgow, which embodied many quite new features.
Mr. Dixon's interests were varied, for he was a Member of the Institution of Electrical Engineers, and many other engineering and scientific societies, to which he contributed a number of Papers.
Mr. Dixon became a Member of this Institution in 1898, and was Chairman of the Glasgow and West Scotland Branch in 1926.
He died on 12th July 1926, at his residence in Glasgow.