W. H. Grindley and Co
of Woodland Pottery, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Telephone: Hanley 7177-8. Cables: "Grindley, Tunstall"
- 1880 Pottery company founded by William Harry Grindley at the Newfield Pottery, Tunstall, Stoke-on-Trent. Earthenware and Ironstone China - particularly for the Canadian, United States, South American and Australian markets.
- 1891 The company moved to the Woodfield Pottery, Woodland Street, Tunstall.
- 1929 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of High-class White Granite, Semi-Porcelain, and Vitrified Hotel Ware, white and decorated. (Stand No. F.10
- 1960 The business was purchased by Alfred Clough Ltd.
- 1978 Renamed Grindley of Stoke (Ceramics) Ltd.
- 1980 Acquired Ceramix Group.
- 1982 Newman Industries merged its ceramics associates with Weymek to form Federated Potteries Co Ltd; Newman's retained about 19% of the new company.
- 1988 The business was re-purchased by W. H. Grindley.
- 1991 The company went into receivership and were then taken over by Woodlands Pottery.
Sources of Information
- The Times, 30 January 1980
- The Times, 9 February 1982