Stothert, Slaughter and Co
From Graces Guide
Stothert, Slaughter and Co of Avon Street, Bristol.
1840 An early order was for two broad gauge 7 ft 0¼ in (2140 mm) 2-2-2 Firefly class express passenger engines Arrow and Dart with 7 ft driving wheels delivered for the opening of the Great Western Railway from Bristol to Bath on August 31, 1840. This was soon followed by an order for eight smaller 2-2-2 Sun class engines with 6 ft drivers.
1841 Edward Slaughter became a partner and the company was renamed Stothert, Slaughter and Company
1842 Made two stationary engines to drive machinery at the GWR's works 
1843 Mention as the manufacturer of the Avon steamer driven by a screw 
1844 The works were renamed Avonside Ironworks. A shipbuilding yard was acquired at Hotwells and many ships were produced there.
1846 Built 'Avalanche' the first of five six-coupled saddle tank banking engines for the Great Western Railway.
1849 Another large order came for ten broad gauge passenger 2-2-2's with 7 ft 6 in drivers and eight goods engines from the Bristol and Exeter Railway for the independent operation of that line from May 1, 1849.
1850 "NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership hitherto subsisting between us the undersigned, Henry Stothert, John Stothert, Edward Slaughter, George Fuller, and Robert Bruce, of the Avonside Iron Works, in the city of Bristol, Locomotive Engine Manufacturers, Ironfounders, and Makers of Machinery, carrying on business under the firm of Stothert, Slaughter, and Company, was this day dissolved by mutual consent, so far as the said Robert Bruce is concerned, who retires therefrom." — Dated this 5th day of August 1850.
1851 Award at the 1851 Great Exhibition. See details at 1851 Great Exhibition: Reports of the Juries: Class V.
1851 the company acquired a ship building yard, previously occupied by Lunell and Co, of which Henry Stothert took charge as a separate undertaking. Another branch of the family also had a shipbuilding business - See G. K. Stothert and Co
1852 Listed as Ironfounders in Bristol as Stothert, Slaughter and Co, Avonside ironworks, St. Phillips 
1856 The company became Slaughter, Gruning and Company when Henry Gruning joined the business; Stothert concentrated on the shipbuilding. By this time they had produced around 340 railway locomotives.
1860 March. Robert Stephen Cuthbertson retires from the partnership leaving Edward Slaughter, Henry Stothert, John Stothert, John Stevens and Henry Gruning of the Avonside Iron Works, Locomotive Engine Manufacturers, Ironfounders, and Makers of Machinery trading as Slaughter, Gruning and Co. 
1861 The company was employing 680 men and 98 boys 
1864-6 Four engines for London Main Drainage (Deptford Station)
1864 With Edward Slaughter still in control, the company became the Avonside Engine Co. Mr. Slaughter retained the engineering and general management, taking the title of Managing Director, which post he held until 1873, when failing health induced him to abandon active work.
Sources of Information
- 'Avonside Ironworks, Bristol' by John Cattell, BIAS Journal 30 1997 (Bristol Industrial Archeological Society)
- The Standard, Thursday, July 20, 1843
- London Gazette 6 August 1850
- 1852-53 Slater's Directory of Berkshire, Cornwall, Devon, Gloucestershire etc.
- The Bristol Mercury, Saturday, March 3, 1860
- 1861 Census
- British Steam Locomotive Builders by James W. Lowe. Published in 1975. ISBN 0-905100-816
- The Imperial Journal 1852 Volume II. p344
- The Steam Engine in Industry by George Watkins in two volumes. Moorland Publishing. 1978. ISBN 0-903485-65-6