South Liberty Colliery
From Graces Guide
of Long Ashton, Bristol
Owned by the Ashton Vale Iron Co
1895 'Bedminster Parish Council .... Mr Froud [Stroud?] moved a resolution to the effect that the clerk be directed to write to the G.W.R. Company, requesting them to set up a footbridge at the level crossing adjoining the South Liberty Colliery, Bedminster. He pointed out that this was a main line, and that it was crossed by a public footpath, which was used by about half the colliers daily and by other foot passengers between Bedminster Down and Long Ashton. He thought the level crossing was a source of considerable danger, especially at night. Mr Perret seconded the motion, which was carried unanimously.'. A bridge was still wanted in 1896. A bridge was constructed, and is still present, serving the public footpath. The point of interest is that it was constructed using some 'recycled materials', specifically cast iron beams which had been 'lying at Neath' and cast iron columns which had been 'lying at Swindon'
1901 Still using a Newcomen engine . The engine was described in 'Engineering', 30 October 1903 (see illustrations). The engine had a trussed oak beam, 4ft deep, 24 ft long. Cylinder 5 ft 6" dia, max stroke 8 ft. It was thought that the cylinder was most likely to have been made by the Coalbrookdale Co. The engine worked three pumps, which together lifted water from the 750 ft deep shaft. Indicated at 52 HP in 1895 when working at 10 strokes per min, 6 ft stroke, at 2 - 3 psi boiler pressure. The engine was thought to have been made c.1750-60. The engine driver in the photo was described as 'an old man', whose father and grandfather had driven the engine before him. The photographs were taken in 1895.
Sources of Information
- Western Daily Press, 22 October 1895
- Bristol Mercury, 14 April 1896
- Information on GWR drawings, provided by D Greenfield
- Fielden’s Magazine Vol 4