Siemens Brothers and Co
of Woolwich, London, SE18. (1937)
1864 At the close of the year, Mr. Halske severed his connections with Siemens and Halske.
1865 The British company was reconstituted under the name of Siemens Brothers and Co. The partners were Werner Siemens, William Siemens, and Carl Siemens. The Berlin firm retained its old name of Siemens and Halske. The works at Charlton grew so rapidly as to necessitate the employment of some 3,000 men.
1864 The merger between Glass, Elliot and Co and the Gutta Percha Co had put Siemens in the position of buying cable core from a competitor (they had previously purchased cable core from the Gutta Percha Co and then applied armour to it). For a time Siemens lost interest in submarine cables.
1866 William Siemens set up a demonstration at the Sample Steel Works in Birmingham to show his regenerative furnace process.
1866 The works were transferred from Millbank to Charlton in Kent, which eventually became the great works of Siemens Brothers and Co.
1869 William was joined by his brother Carl Siemens who persuaded him to build a cable factory, which they did at Woolwich, although it took them two years to obtain their first order.
1880 At Charlton. The business was turned into a limited company, the brothers Werner, William, and Carl Siemens remaining as directors, together with a new director, Mr. Loeffler. The company was registered on December 28th, to take over the business of telegraph engineers, Messrs. Siemens Brothers. 
1881 The first public electricity supply to people in their own homes was installed in the autumn of 1881, at Godalming, Surrey. The supply was provided by a firm whose main interest was street lighting, using a Siemens generator driven initially from a water-wheel in a local mill. Neither William Siemens nor any other member of the family seems to have been involved in the original undertaking but before long they had taken over the running of it.
1884 Two trans-atlantic telegraph cables were made by Siemens Brothers at Woolwich to the orders of two American millionaires - Messrs. Bennett and Mackay.
1889 Alexander Siemens appointed Managing Director.
1899 Company was reorganised with new capital brought in; George van Chauvin became Managing Director.
1906 The Siemens Brothers Dynamo Works was put into a separate company together with the electric light, power and traction work which was transferred to them.
1914 Telegraph and electrical engineers, manufacturers of electrical cables, instruments, dry and fluid batteries, electro-chemical and electro-medical apparatus, railway and other signalling apparatus,Tantalum and Wotan lamps, etc. and contractors for the manufacture, laying and maintenance of submarine cables and cables for electric light and power, for the erection and maintenance of land telegraph and telephone lines and for the installing of railway power-signalling equipments and wireless telegraphy. Employees 2,000. 
1918 Alliance with Dick, Kerr and Co to amalgamate sales organisations and coordinate designs.
1918 Made and installed an automatic telephone exchange at Grimsby using the Siemens-system which was similar to but not identical to the Strowger system.
1919 Further Siemens-type exchanges were opened at Stockport and at Southampton in 1923.
c.1919 Electric lamp manufacture retained in Caxton Electric Developments Ltd subsidiary.
1920 Working arrangement with English Electric Co to reduce sales costs.
1921 Formalised the sales arrangement with English Electric Co in the form of a joint venture English Electric and Siemens Supplies Ltd which had taken over the sales activities of the company and some of those activities of Siemens.
1921 The Post Office installed its first Rural Automatic Exchange (RAX) at Ramsey, Huntingdonshire, made by Siemens; it had capacity for 40 lines.
1922 The Post Office chose the Strowger system as its standard automatic exchange for the public network so no further Siemens-type exchanges were ordered for towns and cities.
1923 The Post Office introduced the first 'Bulk Supply Agreements' with manufacturers - this concerned the supply of automatic exchange equipment. It was signed between the Post Office and 4 manufacturers - Automatic Telephone Manufacturing Co, General Electric Co Ltd, Siemens Brothers Ltd and Western-Electric Co.
1923 Patent - Improvements in or relating to telephones
1924 Substantial shareholdings in English Electric Co, as consequence of sale to them of the dynamo works at Stafford, and Elliott Brothers which carried out most of Siemens business in scientific instruments. Major business was in submarine and underground cables and in telephones, especially automatic telephone exchanges; smaller departments were ebonite, broadcasting , batteries, woodwork and railway signalling.
1929 Patent - An electric dry cell. 
1935 The Submarine Cable divisions of Siemens and of the Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Co were combined to form Submarine Cables Ltd. Each parent company held 50% of the shares in the new company.
1937 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as Maker of C. M. A. (Cable Makers' Association) Cables. manufacturers of Electric Wires and Cables for all Purposes. (Electricity: Industrial and Domestic Section - Stand Nos. Cb.501 and Cb.400) 
1937 Manufacturers of electric wires, cables, telephones, batteries and ebonite. 
1951 AGM told that largest subsidiary was Siemens Electric Lamps and Supplies Ltd (fully owned); others were Submarine Cables Ltd jointly owned with Telegraph Construction and Maintenance Co Ltd and Siemens and General Electric Railway Signal Co jointly owned with GEC. Discussions underway about disposal of the block of 15% of shares that had been held by the Custodian of Enemy Property.
Sources of Information
- The Stock Exchange Year Book 1908
- First public electricity supply in the world
- ODNB: Biography of Sir William Siemens
- The Telegraphist, 2 June 1884 []
- The Engineer of 24th August 1894 p169 & p172
- The Engineer of 14th December 1894 p533
- 1914 Whitakers Red Book
- BT Archives 
- The Times, 17 March 1920
- The Times, 28 April 1921
- Bt Archive 
-  Wikipatents
- The Times, 30 May 1924
- The Times, Feb 05, 1926
-  Wikipatents
- The Times, 22 May 1931
- 1937 British Industries Fair Advert p564; and p412
- 1937 The Aeroplane Directory of the Aviation and Allied Industries
- The Times, 2 July 1951
- The Times, 1 July 1952
- The Times, 21 December 1954