Scott of Kinghorn
J. Scott and Company (later known as Scott of Kinghorn Ltd) were one of two shipbuilders launching ships from Burntisland, in Fife, Scotland in the 1870s. (The other company were John Key and Sons.)
1880s The early vessels made by the yard were iron trawlers and steel paddle steamers, along with the better known Forth paddle ferries.
1900s The yard owned an engine works and made triple expansion machinery for large steamers. Many such ships were made for British and foreign companies. The last ship completed at the yard was for the Spanish Government. Unfortunately, the yard did not survive the trade slump of the early 20th century and closed in 1909.
Sources of Information
- British Shipbuilding Yards. 3 vols by Norman L. Middlemiss