Grace's Guide

British Industrial History

Redland

From GracesGuide

Jump to: navigation, search

Redland Ltd

1919 Started manufacturing concrete roof tiles at Doods Road, Reigate

1920 Company incorporated as Redhill Tile Co; production site moved to Kingsfield Works, Redhill

1930 Started to offer "supply and fix service"

By 1939 had plant at Syston in Leicestershire, Hensall in Yorkshire and Belfast in Northern Ireland as well as at Redhill.

WWII The Kingsfield plant was used for production of munitions

Postwar: Kingsfield developed as an engineering works, designing and building tile making plant to be used at the other factories.

1946 Acquired Moorhouse Brick, Tile and Concrete Products Co Ltd at Westerham, Kent

1946 Company name changed to Redland Tiles Ltd.

1946 Acquired the Timsbury Tile Co, at Chipping Sodbury in Gloucestershire, Romsey, Hants and Runfold in Surrey.

1948 Acquired factory at Stockton-on-Tees

1950-75 Acquired several other Companies (makers of roof tiles) as well as opened new factories.

1963 Rugby Portland Cement Co acquired Eastwoods Group and sold Eastwoods Ltd to Redland Holdings who sold Eastwood Cement back to Rugby Portland, including its 3 cement plants[1].

1968 New factory opened at Wigan to produce 13 million tiles a year. Plant built by Redland Engineering

1976 Redland Tiles Ltd was renamed Redland Roof Tiles Ltd

1981 11 factories in the UK

1981 Monopolies and Mergers Commission decided that Marley and Redland were making excessive profits on roof tiles[2].

See Also

Loading...


Sources of Information

  1. The Times Apr 29, 1963
  2. The Times, 19 November 1981
  • The Engineer of 16th August 1968 p241
  • Competition Commission 1981 report [1]