R. and A. Main
From Graces Guide
of Gothic Works, Falkirk; Gothic Works, Edmonton, London, N18. Telephone: Falkirk 970; Tottenham 2641. Telegraphic Address: "Gasmain, Falkirk"; "Gothic, 'Phone, Edmonton".
1884 R. B. Main went into partnership with his brother, A. P. Main to form the firm R. and A. Main.
Glover and Main established the Gothic works at Camelon in 1900 and at Edmonton in 1899.
The factory was served by a modest siding just south of Angel Road station, on the Liverpool Street to Cambridge line of the former Great Eastern Railway.
The locomotive history of R. and A. Main, Edmonton, London, (makers of gas equipment), has two strange features. Horse traction was superseded, not by steam, but by an internal combustion locomotive; and this form of motive power alone was used for more than half a century.
As far as is known, the horse was the only one of Main's power units to have a name – "Bob". The first two locomotives were designed and built by Thomas Glover and Co, a firm which had amalgamated with R. and A. Main to form Glover and Main, although both had kept separate identities. The Drewry and the Ruston were purchased new by R. and A. Main.
1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Mainstat Automatically Controlled Gas Cooking Appliances for dosmestic and hotel use. Panel and "Built-in" Gas Fires. Wall and Floor Radiators and Heaters. Instantaneous and Storage Water Heaters and Circulators. (Stand Nos. Ca.605 and Ca.504).
The Camelon works were closed in 1964.
Sources of Information
-  Falkirk Council Cultural Services Archives