Naylor, Vickers and Co
From Graces Guide
1832 Naylor, Vickers and Co was mentioned as contributor to the General Infirmary..
1844 Partnership of Naylor, Hutchinson, Vickers and Co with W. Vickers was dissolved; company said to be of Sheffield and New York.. Partnership of Vickers and Co, spindle manufacturers of Sheffield, with W. Vickers was also dissolved.
After 1844 there was no further mention of Naylor, Hutchinson, Vickers and Co in the local newspaper so presumably it had then changed name to Naylor, Vickers and Co.
Edward Vickers's investments in the railway industry allowed him to gain control of the company, based at Millsands.
1846 A machine for cutting files was imported from USA; Naylor, Vickers and Co applied for a patent and intended to sell machines to others..
1849 Merchants, steel converters, forgers, rollers and file manufacturers, River Don Works, Millsands, and Wadsley Bridge..
1855 Exhibited steel at the 1855 Paris Exhibition
1862 As well as Edward, Thomas Edward Vickers and George Naylor Vickers were also employed in this business. The company was described as having recently been responsible for introduction of church bells in steel., for which it became famous.
1863 The company moved to a new site in Sheffield on the River Don in Brightside.
1867 The company went public with a capital of £155,000 as Vickers, Sons and Co and gradually acquired more businesses, branching out into various sectors.
Sources of Information
- The Sheffield Independent and Advertiser 1 September 1832
- The Sheffield and Rotherham Independent 27 January 1844
- The Manchester Times and Gazette, 6 January 1844
- The Sheffield and Rotherham Independent, 10 October 1846
- General Directory of Sheffield, 1849
- Directory & Topography of Sheffield, 1862